Books That Changed the Way I View the World

I have been very passionate about books and reading for my entire life. I have always enjoyed diving into a completely new universe with characters that feel realistic. The best part is that the entire story is someone else’s imagination and is created through words only! Another thing I love about books is how much they can teach you. Books can open your eyes to new perspectives that you yourself have never experienced and time periods that are entirely foreign to you. The books mentioned here have utterly changed the way I view the world. They have opened my eyes completely to a multitude of different issues and perspectives. 

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I could talk about this book for hours because it means so much to me. I have been a fan of Khaled Hosseini after reading his other book, Kite Runner, and all of his philanthropic efforts towards helping the people of Afghanistan. However, A Thousand Splendid Suns truly opened my eyes. Not only did it inform me of the political situation of the Afghan War (something I only knew very basic knowledge about from high school history class), but it also truly defined the struggles of the women of Afghanistan and women all around the world. It emphasizes that it doesn’t matter what kind of family or socioeconomic status a woman comes from; she is still subject to discrimination. Something I love about reading historical fiction novels are learning about cultures that I do not identify with or do not know a lot about. I can confidently say that I learned so much from reading A Thousand Splendid Suns and would absolutely recommend that you read it as well. 

Between The World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates 

Between The World and Me is an astounding book that I would suggest to anyone. It is written as letters from the author, Ta-Nehisi Coates, to the teenage version of himself as he reflects on his experiences growing up Black in the United States. Firstly, this book was such an enjoyable read because of the narration style and the detailed reflection within it. But secondly, the message is crucial. As someone who is not Black and will never understand the Black struggles of growing up and living in the United States, I find that reading books like these are important for me to educate myself and listen to others’ experiences. I believe this is a necessary read for anyone trying to learn more about this, especially with the political climate today. 

A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Not only was this novel an incredibly interesting read with the fascinating characters, complex family dynamics and even a love story, but the part I found most valuable in this book was the attention it brought to the experiences that Muslims living in America faced after Sep. 11. Even though Sep. 11 was a long time ago, the xenophobia addressed in this book is still relevant today. The way in which Mirza wrote this book was also great. It took on multiple tenses and perspectives from different characters in order to give the reader a full picture of the story that was being told. 

Dominicana by Angie Cruz 

I was assigned Dominicana to read for a literature class. While I initially wasn’t sure what to expect, it ended up being one of my favorite books of all time. It perfectly encapsulates the immigrant story and the American dream. The main character, Ana, is forced into an arranged marriage with a man almost three times her age and moves to America to create a better life for her family, who is suffering from poverty and political unrest in the Dominican Republic. This book addresses family, abusive relationships and being an immigrant in the United States in the 1960s. I also loved the writing style of this book because it was so unique and descriptive, making me feel like I was actually there. Overall, this was an amazing book with an even greater story. 

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

I have read almost every single one of John Green’s novels, and this one is by far my favorite. It’s a very interesting story with intriguing, well-developed characters (which most of John Green’s books include), but its stance on mental health is truly phenomenal. The main character suffers from severe anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). While many books, tv shows and movies portray these mental illnesses incorrectly, Green does an amazing job at giving the reader insight into what it is actually like. OCD is not just “being clean,” and anxiety is not just “being shy.” While these are aspects of both, it does not define them. I find this message meaningful and expressed beautifully in Turtles All the Way Down

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margret Atwood 

The Handmaid’s Tale is a classic, and for a very good reason! It touches on the morality of controlling female reproductive rights in a frightening, dystopian way. While The Handmaid’s Tale is not entirely realistic, the concepts that it addresses are. It is an essential read to understand why a woman’s control of her own body is so important. 

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 

Finally, I had to include my favorite book of all time: The Book Thief. Not only is this the only book to date that has made me cry, but it is also the most unique novel that I have ever read. Having death narrate the story of one of the worst genocides in history is powerful. If you haven’t read it already, it is a fantastic historical fiction book with great characters and an absolutely heartbreaking plot. Make sure to have your tissues close by when you read this one! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Scheifele is a writer from Tampa and is an English Education major at FSU. She cares deeply about the environment and likes to read, exercise, do yoga, take pictures, and sew/crochet in her free time! Feel free to reach out to her on insta @hannah.sch_<3