Living off campus has perks but it can make getting to class hard. Parking is a significant issue on campus, as there never seem to be enough spots! There are six parking garages to choose from and many small parking lots spread around campus. Deciding where to park can be challenging as many factors affect each parking garage.

Some general things to note are that the white spaces are the parking spots with the white lines on the sides, while the red spaces have red lines on the sides. Students should park in white spaces Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Students may park in the employee red spaces Monday through Friday after 4:30 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. This is the general rule unless any signs say otherwise. Students can also purchase a reserved spot at the stadium green lot. Open weekend parking is available from 10 p.m. Friday until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, but this varies during home football games.

Students also can purchase reserved permits, which allow parking 24/7 on the first level of Call St. Garage, St. Augustine Garage, Pensacola Garage and the Pensacola Student Reserved Lot. It allows up to five vehicles to be registered, but only one is allowed on campus at a time. It costs $325 an academic year or $415 annually.

The ParkMobile app is also a great resource, allowing you to park in green spaces. It costs $1 an hour from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and $0.50 per hour from 4:30 p.m. until 10 p.m. These spots are available to both students and visitors.

Visitor parking permits can be purchased for $5 daily or per semester and are allowed in any non-gated faculty/staff space and student spaces.

One resource that I use relatively often is the FSU Tranz app. If you struggle to find parking, this app will be your new best friend. The FSU Tranz app is available on the app store for iPhones and Androids. It gets updated frequently and shows how full each parking garage is and what their capacities are. It also has a map and announcements on how many parking spaces are reserved.

Spirit Way Garage

Spirit Way Garage (1122 Spirit Way) is located on the corner of Spirit Way and Stadium Drive. It can hold up to 1,186 cars and is generally one of the more accessible garages to find a spot. Overnight parking is available on the top floor. It houses white, red and green spaces as well as disabled and motorcycle parking. It is generally empty in the mornings and evenings but tends to get fuller in the afternoons. It is close to the King Life Sciences Building, College of Medicine, Psychology Department and College of Education. Spirit Way is one of my favorite garages because it is usually easy to find parking. The walk to the center of campus is covered with trees and has no hills.

Pensacola st. garage

Pensacola Street Garage is located at 410 Walker Street. It can hold up to 1,118 cars and is similar to Spirit Way Garage, as parking can be easier to find. The mornings and evenings tend to be clearer but will fill up towards the afternoon. The first floor is faculty/staff parking only, and levels two through seven are student and overnight parking. Be careful when parking here on weekends, as it is reserved on some weekends for football games. It also has ParkMobile parking, disabled parking and alternative fuel parking. It is located next to Doak Campbell Stadium and the Black Student Union but may be a long walk for most classes and dorms.

woodward avenue garage

Woodward Avenue Garage is one of the trickier garages to find parking. It usually fills up first thing in the morning but tends to clear out around 4 p.m. It is located at 104 N Woodward Avenue and has a capacity of 928 cars. It allows overnight parking on the top floor and has ParkMobile and disabled spaces. Woodward is situated directly between Dirac Science Library and Oglesby Union. It is also close to some of the Biology and Chemistry buildings, HCB, Strozier Library and Bellamy. I would advise you to avoid this garage unless you have a later class in the center of campus.

traditions way garage

Traditions Way Garage is traditionally one of the worst garages to find parking. It is full for most of the day, but later in the day, spots may open. It is located at 860 Traditions Way and allows overnight parking on the top two floors. It also allows for disabled and ParkMobile spaces and is directly in the center of campus next to the Student Services Building and Landis Green. I typically avoid this garage at all costs because it only has a capacity for 795 cars and is known as the worst parking garage on campus.

call st. garage

Call Street Garage is located at 504 W Call Street and allows overnight parking on the top floor. Parking can be tricky to find during the day, as it has a capacity of 786 cars and is surrounded by hills. It is directly next to the Fine Arts Building and close to the Music Buildings. I would avoid this garage unless you are staying on the east side of campus. It has disabled parking, ParkMobile and motorcycle parking.

st. augustine st. garage

St. Augustine Street Garage is located at 501 S Copeland Street and allows overnight parking on the top floor. It has spots for disabled parking, motorcycles and ParkMobile. It has a capacity for 834 cars and is one of my favorite garages on campus. I would recommend parking here if you have classes in Westcott, Diffenbaugh, Williams, or Dodd. I have always been able to find parking here at all times of the day, and it is the best place to park if you are staying on the east side of campus.

parking lots

There are also many student and staff parking lots scattered across campus. These tend to fill up quickly and stay full for most of the day. I would only recommend looking for parking in these lots if you are willing to test your luck.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Katie Frey is a Florida State University student majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media (EWM) with a minor in Women's Studies. She loves reading, writing, playing video games, and watching movies. She loves animals and is a nacho connoisseur.