It’s safe to say that I have always been considered a very picky eater. My go-to meal at every restaurant is the classic chicken tenders and fries. So, naturally, I’m not the first person to actively seek new dishes at dinner, and I tend to play it safe with many of my meals. I have recently decided to branch out with my food selection and challenge myself to try new plates. 

I was very ambitious with this goal and thought I should dive right in by trying something I never thought would touch my mouth…sushi. I swear everyone I know is always grabbing sushi for dinner, and frankly, I’m envious of them. I had to see what I was missing out on and determine whether sushi was something I could enjoy like so many of my friends. 

So, I called up my sushi-loving friend, and together we walked into Little Masa, a restaurant in College Town. I didn’t plan which roll I would try, but when it was my turn, I stepped up to the counter and ordered a side of lo mein and a spicy tuna Roll. I honestly don’t know what compelled me to try this particular roll, but when it was my turn to order, I slightly panicked. Nevertheless, I figured if my friend enjoyed it, maybe I would as well.

After about 10 minutes of enjoying my side of lo mein, my spicy tuna roll came out and I felt confident in my decision. I picked up my chopsticks and dipped the roll into soy sauce. At this point, there was no going back, so I stuck the entire roll in my mouth and hoped for the best. Initially, I was shocked and thought to myself it wasn’t too bad. Unfortunately, that eagerness lasted about two seconds because once I felt the texture in my mouth, it was not what I hoped it would be. Not to be dramatic, but it took everything in me to finish chewing and swallowing it. 

Unfortunately, the spicy tuna roll was not for me, but that doesn’t mean I have given up on sushi entirely. When I say I knew nothing about sushi before attempting to try it, I genuinely mean it. Looking back, I realized I should have researched and determined which roll sounded the most appealing to me and found one more suitable for beginners, but part of the fun was being adventurous with my choice. For now, I will gladly stick to eating lo mein until I am ready to attempt eating sushi again. 

Although I didn’t entirely enjoy the taste of the sushi, I’m glad I decided to try something new. Stepping out of your comfort zone is always a good idea, even if you don’t end up loving what you’ve tried! Be proud of attempting new things because that takes guts regardless of whether it’s as simple as trying a new kind of food. It was a fun way to hang out with my friend, so for all the picky eaters out there, I encourage you to attempt tasting a new dish in the future! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on  Instagram,  Twitter,  TikTok,  YouTube and Pinterest!

Kylee Seaver is a senior at Florida State University, studying Media Communications with a minor in Social Entrepreneurship. She enjoys traveling, fashion, and anything by Taylor Swift.