When most people think “spring break,” they think beaches or cruise getaways, not flying to 30-degree weather. For many of my past spring breaks, my family and I have headed to the snowy mountains for a week of spring skiing. My first ski trip consisted of a few mishaps, like taking my first trip down the mountain and realizing I had no idea how to stop as I pummeled down full speed or colliding with a middle-aged woman and having ski patrol called. Anyways, if you find yourself bundling up and going on a ski trip this spring break, here are tips to make sure your experience is fun and ski patrol free!

Ski Attire

To start off, ski pants and a waterproof jacket are a must. Since the temperatures are not in the negatives like they are in the winter season, you can get away with using a lighter ski jacket. Snow is magical, but remember it’s still water that will leave your clothes soggy when it melts. Keep this in mind when choosing what clothes you wear under your coat and pants. You may have heard the term long underwear or Hot Chillys (not the band), which are ideal under clothes to wear.

If you find yourself in a crunch and are unable to find them in time before your trip, dry-fit under clothes would be the second best. Once you have layered up, grab some goggles that ideally provide adequate UV protection. There are often moguls, or snow bumps, that will naturally form and can become invisible when the glaring sun hits the slopes. Having goggles that also double as sunglasses can help you spot them and prevent you from getting taken out by a pesky mogul.

As for your hands, ski gloves or mittens are imperative as they are made from waterproof material. Although you have two options, gloves or mittens, do your fingers a favor and get mittens! My first day using gloves left me crying and stealing my mom’s mittens because my fingertips were numb. Mittens allow your fingers to keep close together and warm. Lastly, skiing requires special boots and skis that are best to rent at your destination, as the gear is expensive to buy and travel with. Using a helmet is optional but the smart choice.

Things To Bring on the Slopes

Chances are your ski jacket and pants will have a lot of pockets, so use them! Skiing is a physically exhausting activity that will have you burning a lot of calories, so pack a snack. Some easy snacks are granola bars, trail mix, beef jerky, or anything that isn’t too messy. Hand warmers, which can be purchased at many stores in ski villages, are a good thing to have on hand (pardon the pun). You can even buy bundle packs from Amazon before your trip to prepare. These are a quick source of warmth that you can put in your gloves, mittens or even on your toes (they make toe warmers too). The weather is very dry and will likely cause your lips and skin to dry up, so pack a tube of good chapstick. Lastly, grab a pack of tissues for the runny nose the cold will cause.

Ski Lessons

If you are a first-time skier, lessons are a must. Most ski resorts offer lessons for all ages with experienced instructors that will be able to offer clear instructions on the sport. Even a one-day lesson will help you learn the basics and help you get the most out of your trip. Happy skiing!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I’m a communications major at Florida State. Class of 2026!