hawaii nature hikes original
hawaii nature hikes original
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

5 Reasons Why Going on a Medical Mission Trip Was the Best Decision of My Life

In the middle of June, I found myself boarding a plane to Costa Rica alone with nothing but a backpack full of scrubs and bikinis. This summer, I went on a medical mission trip to Tamarindo, Costa Rica with the non-profit organization, MEDLIFE. Within minutes of stepping off the plane in a different country, I found my family for the next 11 days, or at least, the people I would be spending every second of every day with. 

After a five-hour bus ride through lush mountains and valleys, we arrived at the hostel, which was just steps away from one of Central America’s most world-famous beaches. Between the local clinic days, the community project, the nightlife, and the stunning beaches and rainforests of Costa Rica, it’s impossible to pick my favorite part. I encourage others to see for themselves and attend a service-learning trip. 

Now for a little background on MEDLIFE: this acronym stands for “Medicine, Education, and Development for Low-Income Families Everywhere,” and it has its own chapter here at Florida State University. This global organization unites students and professionals in the medical field to provide healthcare to underserved communities and alleviate some constraints of poverty. 

While I chose Costa Rica for my trip, MEDLIFE currently works in multiple sites around Latin America and Africa (including cities in Peru, Ecuador, and Tanzania). These service-learning trips are only part of the equation when it comes to solving problems in these areas. MEDLIFE also employs local medical professionals and provides patient follow-ups after the 11-day clinics conclude.   

These are my top five reasons why attending a MEDLIFE trip was one of the best decisions of my life.  

1. Get Hands-On Medical Experience

The main goal of these trips is for students of high school and college age to gain experience in the medical field. I shadowed multiple Physicians, Nurses, OB/GYNs, Dieticians, and Dental Hygienists at the mobile clinics. Without a medical license, students are unable to perform some of the procedures, such as administering vaccinations. However, we were still able to assist during physical examinations, be active members in the triage process, and ask questions to the physicians at each station. One of my favorite parts was getting to teach the children how to brush their teeth at the dental station. They were all so cute! After each day of the clinic, one doctor would share their personal stories regarding professional experiences in the health industry, which was a great learning opportunity. 

2. Meet People from Other Colleges

My peers on the trip truly made it such an enjoyable time since we all bonded so closely from being together 24/7. After signing up for this trip without knowing anyone attending, the nerves definitely started to kick in. Fortunately, I was met with a group of the most welcoming, diverse, and entertaining college students and mentors. The best part is everyone there is on track to pursue a medical profession. It was extremely motivating being surrounded by like-minded people going through the same experiences. This also widened my horizons and taught me that there are bigger things in life than college.  

3. Explore the Destination 

While a large part of the trip was dedicated to serving the rural communities, there was always time to explore the touristy parts of Tamarindo. We rented surfboards, went shopping, walked the beach, went out to dinners, and watched movies in our spare time. In addition, the last day of the trip is an optional excursion that I highly recommend. We visited a coffee and cacao plantation where we got to make our own coffee and hot chocolate from scratch, toured a local rainforest where we spotted sloths and all types of tropical vegetation, and hiked to the Llanos de Cortés waterfall! Each destination that MEDLIFE offers has breathtaking sights and adventures lined up for the service group, so any trip would be a great choice. 

4. Get 300+ Community Service Hours

This trip may seem like a huge time and financial commitment, but in my opinion, it pays off in the end because I earned over 300 service hours. Although I can’t guarantee that this will count towards a clinical hour requirement, it is a great way to learn preliminary skills when newly entering the medical field. A service trip is also an amazing asset to a resume and a point of discussion with interested employers. It was a tropical vacation and gratifying philanthropy all in one! 

5. Immerse in another culture

Getting to experience another country and its culture was one of the most rewarding aspects of this trip. Talking with the locals at the hostel, our experienced team leaders, and the physicians at the clinic made this a learning experience not just in medicine, but in cultural communities outside of the United States. Focusing on the healthcare system in the United States should be prioritized, but it is equally as important to understand how healthcare works around the globe.

Each day of the clinic, we had the opportunity to visit the communities that we would be serving. We were guided around the rural towns by a local to show us how people in the area live day-to-day. Serving the low-income regions of Guanacaste motivated me to continue my passion for helping others and I’m already planning my next trip!  

Whether you’re a senior in high school or graduating college, you can sign up for a Service-Learning Trip with MEDLIFE anytime this upcoming year. Being in a university chapter isn’t required to sign up. However, the FSU chapter will be going on a group trip during Spring Break 2024 and is working diligently to find discounted prices. If you are at all interested, I encourage you to take the leap as I did. You won’t regret it! 

To learn more about MEDLIFE Service-Learning Trips, visit MedlifeMovement.org 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest

Hey! I'm Sofi, a sophomore at Florida State University and it's my first year writing for Her Campus. Even though I'm a Nursing major, I have a passion for creative writing and journalism!