After years of being inactive on the campus of Florida State University, the Kappa Epsilon chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. is back and ready to bring change to the Seminole campus. The long awaited return of this NPHC sorority finally became a reality the evening of March 4, 2014. Friends, family, and fellow members of the sorority traveled from near and far to see the young women take their first steps to a new beginning.  Through traditional steps and greetings, these young women showed the campus that they have arrived and will be sure not to let us down. The group of sixty-six initiates — also known as the Prodigious REDemption — come from all backgrounds, ranging from freshmen to seniors in classification. However, no matter the age or ethnicity, the love for the amazing sisterhood and public service to all is the common bond that has brought these young women together to this illustrious sorority. 

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated was founded January 13, 1913 on the campus of Howard University, with the chapter of Kappa Epsilon being chartered on the campus of Florida State University May 24, 1973. Just celebrating their centennial last year, the women of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated have continuously empowered, taken action, and uplifted all ages world-wide through their various programs. Not only that, but they have also taken part in some of the most prominent moments in history.  Some of today’s greatest activists, politicians, and entertainers are members of this sorority including Judith Jamison, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, Nikki Giovanni, Angela Bassett, and Soledad O’Brien just to name a few. The lineage of strong and powerful women that are a part of this sorority is something all the young women involved look up to, and knowing that they are now members is not only humbling but definitely an honor to all. It is now their turn to change lives and inspire all those around them, starting with the Florida State community.

Holding leadership positions all across campus, this diverse group of young women is ready to take the campus of Florida State by storm. Some of their positions on campus include Black Student Union Executive Board, members of Senate, Garnet and Gold Guides, Relay for Life Executive Board, SOAR Board, Student Alumni Association Executive Board, SGA positions (both in Executive and Legislative branches), and a plethora of registered student organizations. With skills in writing, dancing, public speaking, editing, graphics, and more, these ladies are more than happy to be a part of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated and are planning to put each and every talent to use for the betterment of their sorority. These sixty-six women are ready and willing to do whatever it takes to uphold the legacy of which preexisting members of the Kappa Epsilon chapter have left on the campus of Florida State University. Great things are in the near future for these ladies and the community cannot wait to see it all! Congrats to all the new members — Florida State University welcomes you! 

Kiandra Brooks, originally from Miami, FL is a senior at Florida State with a passion for all things artsy and fashion. Majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Communications, she has big aspirations to move to a big city and flourish as a magazine journalist and dancer. When she’s not editing her works, she is dancing her life away at the studio. Kiandra loves a good book in her free time and is beyond excited to see what this last year has in store for her. This girl is always up for a good time, just be sure to bring some Chipotle along. Oh yeah, just hold the guacamole. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.