Out With The Old: Oglesby Union To Be Demolished

Just when you thought FSU construction would never end, the university has announced plans to demolish the Oglesby Union in May 2018. The 120 million dollar project will (hopefully) be completed in the fall of 2020.

The first student union on campus was actually the Rowena Longmire Student-Alumnae building, which opened in 1940. The Longmire building now contains offices and classrooms. The first part of the Union (where the UPS store is now housed) was built in 1954 and held a jukebox, snack bar and dance space. In 1964, the Union was enlarged to include dining rooms, game rooms, lounges, a barber shop and beauty shop, a swimming pool, a ticket office, meeting rooms and offices. More additions were completed in 1988, including the addition of the Senate chambers, retail shops and computer labs; in 2001, the Union ballrooms were added, and in 2006, the Union green was renovated. Basically a mod-podge of aging buildings, the Union is being outgrown by FSU’s rapidly expanding student body.

The plan for the new Union is- in a word- beautiful. Sleek. Classy. Need I say more? A medley of brick and glass, the design- created by Workshop Milwaukee and Lewis & Whitlock (a Tallahassee architecture firm that has previously worked on the Center for Global Engagement and the Heritage Museum at Dodd Hall)- is sustainable, modern and suited for our growing student body.

Courtesy: FSU

Even as we turn the page on a chapter of FSU history, there’s still one more chance for you to say goodbye to the old Oglesby Union. Starting on April 25 and ending on April 28, the Union will be hosting a program called the Last Call Before the Wrecking Ball, which is described as, “a series of commemorative events honoring our time in the Oglesby Union before construction starts this summer.”

The first event on the (dare I say) funeral march is the Last Market Wednesday, a time-honored tradition on campus. While it will still happen on Wednesdays next year, this event is particularly significant because it will be the last to take place in the old Union. To celebrate, free cupcakes from the Senior Class Council will be available, Paint-A-Pot’s doors will be open, a cornhole tournament will be held, and many more cool, FREE events will be held in conjunction with normal Market Wednesday activities.

Later on the 25, the first of two nights of covers by local Tallahassee artists will be held in Club Downunder. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.

Courtesy: Youtube

On April 26, from 7 to 10 p.m., a carnival-style event complete with food trucks, inflatables (one will be shaped like a wrecking ball!) and more, will be held on the Union Green and in the Courtyard. The second night of the Local Cover Show will continue in Club Downunder (doors open at 8:30 p.m.).

On April 27, there will be a Sidewalk Chalk competition on the Union Green and in the Courtyard. Beginning at 7 p.m., artists can enter the judged competition for a prize. Free Cosmic bowling at Crenshaw Lanes will run concurrently and there will be food trucks and more.

At Club Downunder, catch Red Baraat at 8:30 p.m., which has the distinction of being the last ever touring group to perform in the current CDU location. The last show, however, will be held on April 28 at 7:30 p.m. CDU Fest will feature local artists central to the history of the club, which first opened in 1988. As a bonus, free pizza will be available!

To find out more about the new Union project, events and more, check out the Oglesby Union’s website at union.fsu.edu.

Hey! My name is Anne Marie, and I'm a second year Editing, Writing, and Media and International Affairs double major here at FSU. I'm from Tampa, Florida, and when I'm not in class, I can be found reading the news, eating breakfast, or hitting the grind at the gym.
Her Campus at Florida State University.