george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Olivia Jade Returns to YouTube After College Admissions Scandal

Olivia Jade, social media influencer, YouTuber, and daughter of actress Lori Loughlin has faced a lot of criticism since the college admissions scandal this past March. It has been about nine months since the YouTuber has posted a video and since then her parents have been arrested and her family has been a constant topic of discussion. In Mar. of 2019, it was brought to the public that Lori Loughlin bribed an administrator at the University of Southern California for the admission of her daughters, Olivia and Bella. Once the news broke, social media exploded and the family was shamed by the public.

Courtesy: Time

The influencer took to YouTube on Dec. 1 to post her first video since the incident, titled “hi again.” Jade welcomes her 1.95 million subscribers back to her YouTube channel with her signature smile and wave. Although the video is short and sweet, she still managed to let viewers know that she could not discuss anything happening in the ongoing college admissions scandal. Being that the case is open, the influencer can’t have any words with her audience about what exactly happened and her exact thoughts on the situation. Jade says in the video “As much as I wish I could talk about all of this … I’m legally not allowed to speak on anything going on right now,” She does not discuss when she will be able to discuss the events.

Jade stumbles over her words and appears conflicted about her return. She says, “Is there a point in coming back and not being able to say anything?” It is almost as though she feels guilty for coming back and not being able to share her truth because of the legalities. The YouTuber tells viewers that this is something that she’s truly passionate about and that she wants to come back because of her own will, not because of pressure from others. Jade bravely left the comments of the video for the public to respond. The majority of the comments are quite hostile, showing that the public has not forgotten about the scandal. Since the incident, the influencer has turned off all Instagram comments on past posts. She now has on a setting that only allows people that she is following back to comment on her photos.

Twitter users are sharing their reactions to the video. One woman tweeted “white privilege is readily accepting olivia jade and preaching that everyone makes mistakes when her family literally committed a federal crime and stole the spots of people who busted their ass for 4 years.” This tweet serves as a common theme for all of the turmoil that Jade faced from this video.

Courtesy: Tubefilter

As Jade’s parents face charges of mail fraud, bribery and are awaiting trial for the beginning of 2020, Jade seems to be sending a message to her fans. She alludes to posting vlogs in the near future, hopefully detailing where she has been for the past nine months. Fans are desperate for answers that will hopefully be answered in the coming months.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Aiyanna is a current student at The Florida State University as a sophomore. She is currently studying Psychology with a minor of Communications. Her favorite food is french fries and her favorite drink is strawberry-lemonade. Her passions include working with and helping people. She hopes that this passion one day leads me to the field of public relations and media.
Her Campus at Florida State University.