Old School vs. New School: How Valentine’s Day Has Changed Over the Years

Every year on the 14th of February, flowers are sent to loved ones, chocolates become the main course meal and people are spreading their love for one another through words of admiration and gifts. Valentine’s Day, known as the day of love, has fluctuated in its real meaning over the years. “Will you be my Valentine?” holds a different weight in the year 2021.

In a world full of social media and no-strings-attached relationships, Valentine’s Day has become much more casual. In previous years, in the days leading up to the day of love, there was much anticipation. Singles would hope someone would ask them to be their Valentine and couples would scurry to find the perfect gift for their loved one. Today, this still exists, but in a manner that holds less weight.

Social media has affected the way today’s society views traditions and norms. Gen Z is the generation of breaking norms and societal expectations. This applies to V-Day as well. Today’s generation has stripped down the meaning of Valentine’s Day. What once was a day of showing your love for someone with a grand gesture, is now a day of texting people you love them and getting them a box of chocolates or two.

The old school way of things valued relationships and quality time. The new school approach is much more casual and is focused on spreading the love all around with friends, rather than a day of romance with a significant other. A night of romance in the ‘80s or ‘90s would be a nice dinner prompted by a bouquet of roses and a special gift. That old school romance is hard to find nowadays in a hookup society. Social media was out of the picture, so loved ones were encouraged to spend quality time together and show their appreciation in person. Today, social media has created a new love language. Sending Tik Toks and memes is a new way of communicating feelings to a love interest. 

Love light up sign
Photo by Jesse Goll from Unsplash

Love does not have to be defined by gifts and flowers. I can agree that Gen Z does a great way of showing this. Love is showing a person you care about your favorite movie or taking them to where you grew up. Love does not have to be a relationship, love is caring for someone and doing anything for them. Love does not have to be celebrated with only couples. That’s why there’s the creation of Galentine’s Day after all. Love is personal and it is what you make it to be.The old school love still exists. Flowers are still passed around on the day of love, chocolates are still eaten and couples still spend time together. However, the old school love has been overpowered by the new school love of keeping it casual and “Netflix and chilling,” rather than a relationship with labels.

I believe Valentine’s Day has become more casual in the year 2021 because we choose to celebrate love every day, rather than just Feb. 14. However, it is still nice to dedicate a day to the person that means the most to you. Yes, there used to be sweetheart dances and formal ways to ask someone to be your Valentine but, there is now the option to send a box of roses to your loved one through an app and send them a quirky video message showing them how much you care for them. Though the way we express love has changed, love hasn’t died. It is just different. I prefer the old school way of things, but I can get behind the Chick-fil-a heart box of nuggets as my gift. Spend Valentine’s Day how you want to, whether it is the old school or the new school way.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Hannah Tolley is a contributing writer under the Entertainment and Culture vertical. She covers entertainment releases, fan theories, pop culture news, and more. Aside from Her Campus, Hannah was also a member of the Florida State University (FSU) Her Campus team. During her time with the chapter, she served as a staff writer for three semesters, where she wrote biweekly pieces across campus, culture, and personal verticals. She also was a content editor for two semesters, where she led a team of 6+ writers and oversaw and edited their articles. Hannah was also an editorial intern for Her Campus during her spring and summer term of her second year in college. As an intern, she worked alongside the full-time edit team to curate timely and evergreen pieces across life, culture, career, and style verticals. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from FSU in May 2023, with a Bachelor of Science in Media/Communication Studies with a minor in English. When she's not dissecting the latest pop culture events, you can find her reading a cheesy romance novel or establishing parasocial relationships with fictional TV characters. She loves to rewatch her favorite shows (Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Friends) or spend the day going down a rabbit hole of reality dating shows.
Her Campus at Florida State University.