Ohmigod You Guys! It’s Legally Blonde

Courtesy: Florida State University School of Theatre: College of Fine Arts

The School of Theatre at Florida State opened their production of Legally Blonde on February 12th and it has been an absolute hit from the start. From a program that consistently ranking as one of the top ten theatre programs in the nation, nothing less than incredible is expected, and that’s exactly what they provide.

Courtesy: The School of Theatre at Florida State

From the start of the production the audience is sucked in with the song Ohmigod You Guys, performed by Elle and her fellow sorority sisters as they prepare the beautiful blonde, played by Ashtyn Hutchings, for a romantic dinner with her law school bound boyfriend. Things quickly go from anticipatory wedding bells to the breakup blues. But Elle won’t stand around and watch the love of her life slip away, and works her way to Harvard University to prove herself as the intelligent, well-rounded, Jackie Kennedy-esque woman he desires. Once there she is met with the roadblock of her boyfriend already being paired up with another, brunette beauty named Vivian. In the process of trying to win him back Elle not only finds her own place in law school, but she meets some incredible people who help her find herself in a world that looks down on blonde.

Hutchings’ voice, along with the rest of the cast, completely mesmerizes the crowd, never missing a note or a beat. The choreography is fun and lively, exciting the audience from start to finish. Not only that, but the entire play is performed with the help of a revolving stage. “The set design was incredibly original, and they obviously have a great stage management team if they can navigate a rotating turntable,” says sophomore bachelor of the arts theater major Kristen Kingston, so is the stage manager of the upcoming production Beautiful Thing. “Also, the lighting design was mind-blowing because it actively engages the audience since it would flash out into them. It’s like one huge disco party, really. Everyone should go see it.”

The School of Theatre without a doubt put together yet another standing ovation worthy hit, thanks to a truly incredible cast and crew. Everything from the spectacular lighting, lively choreography, swift set changes, and wildly talented cast of actresses and actors make for one hell of a show that cannot be missed. Many probably think that Legally Blonde is a movie that could not possibly work as a theatre production. That could not be more wrong. It is a true masterpiece the whole way through, and you will be sure to leave thinking nothing short of OHMIGOD.

Some more upcoming productions include Beautiful Thing going on this weekend the 26th through the 28th at the Conradi Theatre. Also, Hedda Gabler, which will be March 25th through April 3rd at the Lab Theatre. Want to know more about productions from the School of Theatre at Florida State? Visit www.theatre.fsu.edu for more information on the school, productions and much more!

Junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media, aspiring social activism journalist, world traveler, and lover of flannel, Hungry Howie's, and cats.
Her Campus at Florida State University.