neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#NoMake-UpSelfie: Social Media’s Impact on Cancer Research

In a generation where ‘selfies’ are the common way to take pictures and ‘hash tags’ have replaced blogs in expressing how we are feeling or what we are thinking about, it was about time that the two were combined to create a campaign for charity! The campaign sparked on Tuesday March 18th; encouraging women from all over the world to post pictures of themselves on social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook, with no make-up on, in order to raise awareness for breast cancer and the charity Cancer Research UK. Once you post your selfie online with the hashtag #nomakeupselfie, it is encouraged to make a £3 donation to the charity by texting the word ‘beat’ to 70007. The idea is to then nominate another person on social media websites to post their own ‘no make-up selfie,’ increasing awareness for the disease and gaining record participation. Cancer Research UK has announced that they raised more than £1 million on the first day of the campaign alone, through 800,000 text message donations! As of Friday, March 21st, over £2 million and counting had been raised for this amazing and dedicated charity!

In addition to Cancer Research UK, other charities have seen a huge surge in donations, such as the charity Breast Cancer Campaign. The Head of Digital Engagement at Breast Cancer Campaign, James Elliot, released a statement praising the Internet craze as he states, “We couldn’t be more delighted, and this campaign demonstrates the powerful impact that social media can have in raising awareness of breast cancer. Without it we wouldn’t have received over £140,000 to spend on life-saving research.”

Although the campaign has proven to be a success with the high number of participation and donations, it has faced a large amount of backlash. Many people claim that the campaign is ‘superficial’ and has no real effect on helping breast cancer research. While everyone is entitled to his or her own views and opinions, I think it is important to note that the campaign was started to increase breast cancer awareness, a goal that it has already accomplished by a landslide! The money raised is strictly going towards life-saving cancer research that may not be directly benefiting anyone at the moment, but has the strong potential to help many in the future.

Another criticism that came to light was the fact that men were finding it hard to get involved, due to the fact that the campaign was mostly aimed for women. In a really amusing turn of events however, a group of men have created an alternative campaign to raise money for Cancer Research UK. Instead of taking a ‘no make-up selfie,’ men are now posting pictures of themselves wearing make-up on social media websites!

Perhaps the most important criticism raised however, is the fact that posting these ‘no make-up selfies’ online is being classified as brave and courageous and women are being commended for exposing themselves and being vulnerable. Comparing the vulnerability that cancer brings to women posting barefaced pictures online is most definitely not the same. While it is slightly problematic that this comparison is being made, it has sparked participation in the campaign by breast cancer survivors and current patients. Brave women from all over the world are posting pictures of themselves not only wearing no make-up, but also showing the world their baldheads and scars. That kind of contribution to the campaign has increased donations as well as participation, and has given a face to the truly courageous women that are battling with the disease on a day-to-day basis.

The impact that this social media campaign has made is phenomenal and just goes to show what people can accomplish through social media outlets and by coming together to support a cause.

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.