Nike is suing the maker of the viral ‘Satan Shoes’ created from a collaboration by Lil Nas X and MSCHF, a small Brooklyn-based company. Nike stated a claim saying that the sneakers’ devilish theme is hurting the company’s brand. 

MSCHF, a quirky company that is the heart of a variety of viral stunts, announced it was dropping 666 limited-edition pairs of the Satan Shoes. The collaborator altered versions of the Nike Air Max 97s now feature red embroidery on the sides, a bronze pentagram attached to the laces, new red sock liners and red ink with exactly one drop of human blood in the sneaker’s midsole. 

One of MSCHF’s founders, Daniel Greenberg said that “Not much blood, actually” was collected, he said, adding, “About six of us on the [MSCHF] team gave.” 

When the shoes were released, they were being sold at $1,018 a pair and were sold out in less than a minute. The shoes are also embroidered to read “Luke 10:18” —a reference to the biblical passage that says, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.” 

Hours after the release, “Nike requests that the court immediately and permanently stop MSCHF from fulfilling all orders for its unauthorized Satan Shoes.” Nike is also asking the company to pay for the “damage” done to its brand for making significant changes to the original Air Max 97 design without its “approval or authorization.” 

Gavel on white background
Photo by Tingey Injury Law Firm from Unsplash

“Nike has not and does not approve or authorize MSCHF’s customized Satan Shoes,” wrote the company’s attorneys in their complaint. “Decisions about what products to put the swoosh on belong to Nike, not to third parties like MSCHF.” 

The shoes were launched to promote Lil Nas X’s new music video for “Montero (Call Me by Your Name).” In the song, Lil Nas X, who was born as Montero Lamar Hill, “cheerfully rejoices in lust as a gay man,” wrote Jon Pareles, the chief music critic for The New York Times. 

Lil Nas X has been responding sarcastically to the controversy with some clever trolling, and he has responded to news of the lawsuit with memes on Twitter. He’s also defended his music, telling critics, “I am not gonna spend my entire career trying to cater to your children. That is your job.” 

Conservative outlets and personalities, including Fox News hosts, have been among the most persistent critics of the shoes. One of these Conservatives criticizing the shoes was Gov. Kristi Noem of South Dakota. Noem, a Republican, wrote on Twitter that it was wrong for children to be told that the shoes were exclusive. 

Lil Nas X was quick to respond: “ur a whole governor and u on here tweeting about some damn shoes. do ur job!” Noem replied with a quote from the Bible: “What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?” 

Nike is also asking to collect any profits made by MSCHF from the sale of the shoes. “MSCHF has attempted to capitalize on Nike’s valuable reputation and customer goodwill by using the Nike Asserted Marks and/or confusingly similar marks in a manner that is likely to cause consumers and potential customers to believe that MSCHF Satan Shoes are associated with Nike, when they are not.” 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest

Alive to create! Type 1 Diabetic I have an unhealthy sneaker obsession ://
Her Campus at Florida State University.