Daytona International Speedway Grandstand
Dilyn Hill
Culture > News

W Series Cancels Final Races Due to Investor Fallout

The future of the W Series is up in the air after expected funding from an investor fell through this week. On Oct. 10, the W Series released a statement informing the general public that the final three races of the season would be canceled, and the season would end prematurely in an effort to secure funding for the 2023 season. This came as a shock to fans, but CEO Catherine Bond Muir knew this situation was coming.

“It’s with both great sadness and frustration that we announce that our much-anticipated final three races of the 2022 season in Austin and Mexico City will not go ahead,” said Muir in the statement released by the W Series, “but due to recent unforeseen circumstances outside of W Series’ control, we had not been in receipt of contracted funds due to us. Therefore, we have been forced to make the unfortunate decision not to complete our scheduled calendar this season.”

Promised funds owed to the W Series failed to arrive in September. This forced race organizers to look ahead, not just at the three races remaining on the 2022 season calendar. W Series made the decision to cancel the rest of the season out of the best interest of the sport, as they are unsure of where its funding will come from in the future. The rest of 2022 will be focused on fundraising efforts for the 2023 season and beyond. Women’s sports are not unfamiliar with funding issues, and the W Series is another example that female sports need consistent funding and support to stay afloat.

The W Series launched in 2018 as a free-to-enter championship that provides equal opportunities for female drivers and eliminates the financial barriers that have historically excluded them from participating in motorsport. It has produced three racing seasons: 2019, 2021 and 2022. There was no racing in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The drivers are selected based on ability, and each car is mechanically identical. This means races will be won by the most talented drivers, not by teams with the most funding. The end of the season means Jamie Chadwick will be crowned champion for a record-breaking third time. “I really think W Series can be so proud of what they’ve achieved this season, regardless of how it’s finished,” said Chadwick after the news was released.

Chadwick, 24, is a British racing driver that has been in W Series since its inception in 2018. She is also the series’ only champion. Chadwick has won three consecutive titles, her third coming with the cancelation of the 2022 season. The drivers only completed seven of the anticipated ten races this season. Chadwick had a 50-point lead over her closest competitor Alice Powell when Muir announced the cancelation of the season. Chadwick’s impressive resume and dominant performance in the W Series has garnered a lot of attention, with many supporters and professionals in the industry hoping she moves into Formula 3 in the near future. Formula 3 is the lowest tier of entry-level racing that could lead to Formula 1. A woman hasn’t raced in Formula 1 in over 40 years; she has the potential to break the drought.

Even though their season has ended abruptly, you can still support the W Series by rewatching races and familiarizing yourself with the sport. The W Series deserves just as much of a secure following as F1, and many can’t wait to see these ladies back in action in 2023.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

a senior at Florida State University majoring in Sport Management. she loves watching movies, listening to music, and binge-watching theme park vlogs. on Sunday mornings, you can find her watching the latest Formula 1 race.