Culture > News

LGBTQ+ Policy in America: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

LGBTQ+ policy has come a long way in America from times like the 1950s “lavender scare,” the Stonewall riots of the 1960s and The Defense of Marriage Act in the 1990s. In 2015, the United States Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in all 50 states and is considered a landmark case in the United States. While the United States has changed a lot over the decades, there are many policies that threaten the LGBTQ+ community to this day.

In the state of Florida, the “Don’t Say Gay” bill is moving through Florida Legislature. The bill is intended to ban discussing sexual orientation or gender identity at school and would give parents the power to sue violators of the bill. The bill is called the “Parental Rights in Education” bill by lawmakers and has received support from Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. However, the bill has received a lot of public criticism as well, from citizens as well as President Biden. Critics of the bill argue that school is meant to be a safe space for children to discover themselves, and that silencing discussions surrounding gender identity or sexual orientation would make it seem like these topics are shameful. However, proponents of the bill argue that parents have a right to determine when and how their children are introduced to these topics.

In St. Johns County Schools, teachers now must notify parents before they use a student’s preferred name or pronouns. The new policy was created in order to align with the “Parental Rights in Education” bill, in order to give parents more control over what their children learn at school. However, critics of this policy argue that this policy will put transgender or gender non-conforming children in danger at home. Their concerns are not without reason, as a study done by The Trevor Project found that in 2020, 52 percent of transgender and non-binary youth contemplated dying by suicide. 13 percent of LGBTQ+ youth reported being subjected to conversion therapy that same year, with 87 percent being under the age of 18 at that time.

On Feb. 3, South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem signed the first anti-transgender bill of the year, South Dakota Senate Bill 46. The bill bans transgender girls from participating in team sports that align with their gender identity. Supporters of the bill argue that it keeps sports fair and protects children from danger. However, critics of the bill argue that there is no evidence that transgender participation in school sports has caused any issue. The White House gave a statement in regard to the bill, calling it, “nothing more than bullying.”

South Dakota Senate Bill 46

Nevertheless, more states are expected to take similar positions in 2022, with Arizona, Indiana and Alabama all advancing bills that would impact transgender children, along with the aforementioned “Don’t Say Gay” bill in Florida. While the future of LGBTQ+ policy in America is unclear, people can make their voices heard by attending protests, voicing how they feel on social media and writing to their lawmakers.

If you or someone you know are struggling with thoughts of suicide, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255. If you need help with LGBTQ+ issues, you can visit The Trevor Project for 24/7 free and confidential counseling.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a sophomore at Florida State, majoring in social work :).