Style > Fashion

Everything You Need To Know About the Upcoming Met Gala

Every year, the Met Gala is heavily anticipated. Fans of fashion and art can observe elaborate visions come to life on some of the most famous celebrities in the world. Throughout the years, public figures, including Princess Diana, Oprah, Elon Musk and Beyoncé, have attended this glamorous event. While the guest list is kept private, it is confirmed that Regina King, Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and Lin-Manuel Miranda are co-chairs. Therefore, these A-list celebrities are assured to be at the Met Gala. In addition, it has been established that the honorary chairs of the Met Gala will be in attendance. These chairs are designer Tom Ford, Vogue’s editor-in-chief Anna Wintour and Instagram’s Adam Mosseri.   

The 2022 theme is “In America: An Anthology of Fashion. According to Voguethe Met Gala will be designed around the tenets of American style and celebrate the unsung heroes of American design. This year’s Gala is a continuation of the 2021 Met Gala. Therefore, the second part of the same exhibition is set to be revealed. The theme last year was “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion.” According to Harper’s Bazaarguests and designers were all able to pay a tribute to Hollywood stars and American designers. The upcoming 2022 event will be the first normal Met Gala since 2019. Due to COVID-19, the 2020 Gala was canceled. The pandemic continued to alter the state of the Gala in 2021, as it had to become a smaller, more intimate event. The 2021 Met Gala date was also postponed to September, instead of the usual May date, due to New York City’s restrictions. Nevertheless, the celebrity fashion looks from 2021 are still remembered and will remain memorable and iconic.  

While the Met Gala may simply appear as a means to flaunt one-of-a-kind designer outfits, it is actually a charitable event. It may be known as the “Oscars of fashion”, but the underlying reason for the Gala is to fundraise money for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute. This event tends to raise millions of dollars each year. So, how is one singular event able to raise millions of dollars in a night? Tickets to this exclusive occasion cost around $35,000 each. In addition, companies can buy tables, which sell anywhere from $200,000 to $300,000. Some of these major companies are Balenciaga, Chanel and GivenchyThese are just a few of the designers who can buy tables at the Met Gala. To publicize their brand, these designers invite and dress the celebrities. Although celebrities could afford to buy their own tickets, major brands finance them in return for their clothes being worn to the event. 

This year, the Met Gala will occur on Monday, May 2. As always, it takes place at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. This event, however, is closed to the public. The only way the general public will be able to view the inner workings of the Met Gala is through social media and live streams. For instance, Vogue will be having a live stream to broadcast the red carpet looks. Unlike many other events, the Met Gala is invitation-only. Even if someone can buy a ticket, there is only a select group of people who are chosen to attend. There is even a waiting list, which proves how exclusive the Met Gala truly is. 

From $35,000 tickets to extravagant designer outfits, the Met Gala has demonstrated to be one of the most exciting events of the year. Soon enough, celebrities and designers are set to show off their looks while simultaneously supporting a good cause. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Welcome to my profile! My name is Brooke Belforte and I am currently a Junior at Florida State University. I am majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English.