A New Approach on How Students Obtain Their News

College students are always in need of help when it comes to beefing up their resumes. In such a competitive world, it is now the norm for a student to juggle school, internships, clubs, and other extracurricular activities. Often times it is difficult for people to go out and participate in things that will boost their student involvements. Florida State sophomores Dylan Dusseault and Keenan Molaskey have recently developed their own website focused on aiding students in creating news articles relevant to today’s society.

Dylan Dusseault, a Political Science and International Affairs double major, feels as if the website will “give students the opportunity to post articles that can act as resume builders.” He has experience from his high school days when he was a staff member at the tbt-two* writing weekly newspaper articles about pertinent matters. This great experience and passion for world news established his enthusiasm for the foundation of the Substitute News website.

Sophomore Keenan Molaskey is a co-founder and also a member of the Phi Eta Sigma honor society. With a double major in marketing and finance, he also possesses the same drive to create a website deigned to help students with their potential future careers. The two worked together to form the basis of Substitute News and to provide the latest technology for students to discuss current events.  Both of these gentlemen maintain the website design and monitor the articles that are submitted.

Dylan and Keenan created this website as something to set them apart among a sea of law school hopefuls, but they also hoped that it would provide their fellow students with a chance to write relevant and pertinent articles and op-eds that could turn into future writing credits while they apply for jobs, internships, and grad schools.

“People need to be able to show that they have the ability to write, think critically, and analyze cause and effect,” says Dylan. “This can be the perfect place to do that.”

With topics ranging from politics to world news to money, students are able to post their own opinions and insights to the website in order to start interactive discussions on issues they feel are important. As the site says, it is “a chance to share your views without annoying your Facebook friends.” The fact that students will be able to engage in such discussions perfectly aligns with how the future of the internet is shaping up to be. Not only is this a great way for students to bring up their views on topics, but it also doubles as a networking site. Students can get to know one another and that can spark more concepts. Who knows? Maybe because of Substitute News, the next world leader could develop a peacekeeping idea. People from all backgrounds will be able to provide input in current events, giving the website a variety of beliefs.

The site can be found at substitutenews.com and followed at facebook.com/substitutenews or on twitter @substitutenews. For more information, you can email them at substitutenews@gmail.com

Amanda is a Senior at Florida State University who loves writing about local Tallahassee culture, anything fashion related, and tips to help all college girls live a happy & healthy lifestyle! She also has her own blog, www.affordablebyamanda.com where she talks about beauty, lifestyle, fashion and college related tips!
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."