1917 is an immersive war film directed by award-winning Sam Mendes, who is best known for directing films like American Beauty and the last two installations of the James Bond movie series. The film’s plot follows two soldiers as they dangerously race against time to deliver a message that has the possibility of saving 1,600 soldiers during World War I. It also features a star-studded cast with Richard MaddenBenedict Cumberbatch and Colin Firth all starring in the film among other talented actors.

One of the most intriguing and defining characteristics of the film is that Sam Mendes and cinematographer Roger Deakins, who worked on projects like Blade Runner 2049 and Sicario, filmed this war-drama to look as though it was shot in one continuous take. This idea was first established at the very beginning of the project, with the words “this movie is designed to be one shot” printed on the first page of the script for filmmakers and actors to note. 

There aren’t many popularized one-take films, and one-take films aren’t often produced because of the level of difficulty of shooting continuously on a set or onsite. However, done correctly, one-shot films have the potential to add more suspense and fully immerse viewers into the film’s world. That is why, in an effort to both promote the film and encourage up-and-coming filmmakers, NBC Universal and Ideas United have partnered to host the 1917 One Shot Film Contest.

The contest itself is open to anyone 18 years or older that creates a two-minute-long (including titles and credits) one-take film that mirrors the plot of 1917: delivering a message. Additional rules and restrictions can be found here. The contest began Nov. 8 and runs through Dec. 2. All films will be judged by executives at NBC and the winning film will be announced on Dec. 9. The winning filmmaker will have the opportunity to attend the premiere of 1917 in Los Angeles with one guest, giving them the opportunity to meet the cast and crew of the film.

According to the NBC Universal press release for the contest, David Roemer, co-founder and CEO of Ideas United, is hopeful that submissions will be plentiful and the winner will reap many benefits moving forward in a filmmaking career. “Ideas United has the unique opportunity to tap into a global network of talented filmmakers and creative thinkers,” he said. “By partnering with Universal Pictures, we are able to challenge the next generation of creators with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will help them showcase their talents and give them a chance to meet some of the filmmakers and cast of 1917.” 

All images courtesy of NBC.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Kassandra Curiel is currently a Senior majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Political Science at Florida State.When she's not writing for Her Campus FSU you can cach her watching really bad reality TV, crying because she misses her dog, or re-watching La La Land for the 80th time (this year). 
Her Campus at Florida State University.