Well, we finally made it to 2021. 2020 was a year of unprecedented times and hardships, but also a symbol of awakening and change. As we carry these lessons on to the new year, I decided to make a few of my own goals, six to be exact.

Now, I’m usually never one to hop on New Year’s resolutions. However, this time I did want to figure out certain things I could do to learn more about the world, be a better friend and improve my mental health. So here it is. I present to you my six oddly specific 2021 goals:

1. Read 30 books

Textbooks
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash
I’ve always loved to read but with the chaos of life, I was never able to find the time. Although, I found out recently that I wasn’t trying very hard. These past few weeks, whenever I had downtime, whether it be five minutes or an hour, instead of automatically picking up my phone, I’ve been picking up a book. It’s amazing how much reading you can get done in a day with this simple adjustment in your life. With three books already down in these first few weeks, I’m hoping I can complete up to 30 by the end of the year.

2. Make one new friend each month

I’m definitely more of an introvert, however, I do love meeting new people. With the normalization of everything being remote, it makes this goal even harder, but I’m not going to let that stop me. I want to push myself to make a strong connection with at least one person each month and hopefully, that could spring into a great friendship. Making connections is what makes this world so exciting. Learning about what people are passionate about and what gets them up in the morning is inspiring in itself, which is what I hope to get out of this goal.

3. Go to bed before midnight each night

My sleep schedule wasn’t always great, but it has vastly improved over the years. I have quickly come to figure out that I am definitely a morning person. I like waking up at 7 a.m., drinking coffee and getting ready for the day. In order to do this, I have to go to bed at a reasonable hour each night.

4. Ask close friends how they’re really doing

If I learned one thing from 2020, it was who my close friends really were. Sometimes it does get hard to check up on people when you have so much going on, but this year I really strive to prioritize my relationships. 

5. Complete Khan Academy’s Art Curriculum

Khan Academy has an educational program that discusses all things art. They have a set of 250 art pieces they analyze in-depth, ranging from global prehistory to modern times. By learning about each of these pieces, I think this is a great way to better understand history and the world around us.

6. Watch every A24 movie

A24 is an independent film distribution company. The fact that they’re independent means all the films they produce give complete control over to the director so they can produce whatever they like. Modern classics have come out of this company such as Ladybird, Moonlight and Midsommar, just to name a few. The creativity and diversity of this movie list is inspiring and with their 97 total movies, I plan to complete them all by the end of the year.

So, there we have it. As a college student, life is always hectic but it’s always important to prioritize mental health. Through these goals, it will allow me to also focus on things that I enjoy while still attaining knowledge and staying close with friends.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest

dreamin big
Her Campus at Florida State University.