two set memebers with vintage car
two set memebers with vintage car
Photo by Danny Gonzalez

This week I sat down with my brother to discuss his career. Every time we are out and about, his job description never fails to make others gasp in awe. So, what does he do? He works on movie sets! Danny Gonzalez is a 31-year-old assistant director in the film and television industry. He is based out of New Orleans, Louisiana. He has worked throughout the southeast in locations such as Atlanta, Miami and Savannah. His film resume includes having worked on La Voz Kids, The Bachelor, Bar Rescue, Graceland, Moonlight, Ballers, Baywatch, Underground, Preacher, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Trial by Fire, The Highway Men, Stuber, Ford v Ferrari, Project Power, Tall Girl, Bill & Ted Face the Music, Deepwater and Leverage 2.0.

Her Campus (HC): Why film and how did you find your way in?

Danny Gonzalez (DG): I really loved movies growing up. They are my favorite thing in the world. I was unsure of what I wanted to do in college. I ended up deciding to focus on what I love. My university, St. Thomas, offered a strong curriculum for film studies. I loved all the opportunities associated with film. I like the idea of waking up and getting paid to do what I like. I do not create the movies, but I work on them and that brings me happiness.

It is tough luck getting into the industry. You have to work hard in college and know the right people. I knew one guy in college and he got a job with Telemundo for Mira Quien Baila. He called me out of the blue to be an assistant on the show. From that point on it was about doing a good job, making the connections, and finding what job leads to the next. We all have to start somewhere in order to make it to the more serious projects.

HC: Describe a typical day on set.

DG: It starts with the general crew call. I show up an hour before this. We talk about what will be going on that day. We review the call sheet, get breakfast, and go to set. You need to be there before the director gets there. When they get there, the day begins and you listen to their instructions. I communicate with the crew members and start setting up shots. We get the actors ready at base camp and then they come up to set. We pass along the set to the director and they rehearse. We set up the grips, lighting, props, etc. Then, we start shooting and we do this all day for however many needed scenes. Basically, I am the eyes and ears of where the first Assistant Director cannot be. We never let off of the gas and are there to ensure everything runs smoothly.

set memeber in front of blue screen
Photo by Danny Gonzalez

HC: What’s the best project you have worked on?

DG: The Highway Men was the best because of the team I had. It was like a road trip movie and we stayed in hotels. We all got along well and it felt like a camping trip.

HC: Name a favorite memory on the job.

DG: I was working as a background production assistant and a storm was rolling in that day. We were trying to get this complicated shot off of a crane. There was less than five minutes to set up an entire school exit scene. We ended up timing it so that this girl put down her skateboard perfectly to reveal the rest of the scene as the camera was coming back around. She skated past the camera at the perfect moment. We had one chance and we did it perfectly. The shot made the movie.

HC: What’s the best part of the job? Worst part?

DG: The best part is the “set family” you make. You spend so much time with these people and they bring out the best in you. They challenge you. It isn’t about the actors or the content. The worst part is the long hours and the dedication required. It is hard to find a balance and you end up missing birthdays, dates, etc. It is hard to make time for those outside of the film world.

HC: What is your goal and where are you headed?

DG: I want to be a first assistant director. They are next to the director the whole time. They control the set and act as the voice. They run the whole thing and help bring the creative vision to life.

HC: What has been the biggest obstacle for you?

DG: This industry can feel unstable because your next job is never guaranteed. You won’t feel secure until you work for a long time. There is always the nagging question of if you will land the next job, but do not let that stop you from persevering.

HC: Any advice for aspiring film students?

DG: Never underestimate the power of connections. Forge relationships with people, even in the worst circumstances. Perform to the best of your abilities because you never know who is thinking of calling you next.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.