Florence is a city with a rich history filled with culture, art and diverse people. Deciding what to do and see in Florence can seem overwhelming at first, and with a city that has so much to offer you, it can be hard to navigate. However, I’ve put together my list of must-see places and things to do while in Florence.

Florence is the birthplace of the Renaissance, which makes it a city containing iconic architecture, sculptures, paintings, etc. There are many famous works of art housed in Florence, and you could spend weeks seeing them all, but I’ve narrowed down my must-see artworks.

The most famous museum in Florence is the Uffizi, located a few blocks away from the Florida State University (FSU) Florence Study Center. Housed here are the collections of 14th-century and Renaissance paintings from Botticelli, Leonardo, Correggio, Raffaello, Michelangelo, Caravaggio and more. Even for those who couldn’t care less about art, seeing the Uffizi is a must. Strolling the halls and rooms filled from floor to ceiling with paintings and sculptures, you are transported into the beauty that surrounds you. Being the most famous museum in Florence, I bought my ticket online.

To see Florence without seeing David is never to have seen Florence at all, or so the saying goes. The David statue carved by Michelangelo is one of the most admired works in all of Florence. Housed in the Accademia Gallery, a few blocks north of the Duomo, the wait is worth it to see David. The line begins outside and snakes down the street, so I recommend getting there as soon as they open. Especially during the summer months, as the sun and heat can become exhaustive. There is also the option to pre-book your tickets, so you can avoid the line or even join a guided tour.

When it comes to searching for a pizza in Florence, nothing beats Gusta Pizza. Located south of the Arno, Gusta Pizza is a must-eat when you come to Florence. Seeing the line wrap around the building may be daunting to some, but it’s worth it. There’s even the option to do to-go in a separate line outside, which is what I would opt for most times, and eat the pizza sitting along the Arno.

Pino’s Sandwiches is the best panino spot in all of Florence. There are many options on the menu, so you are bound to find one sandwich you love. This typical sandwich-style restaurant, where you order at the counter and watch them assemble your panino, is the perfect lunch spot for anyone. I usually took the sandwich to-go and ate it along the steps of the Santa Croce or in the FSU Study Center in between classes.

Florence is known for their leather, so much so that they have a leather school in the city. The San Lorenzo Market is one of the most popular leather markets in the city, with stalls of jackets, handbags, purses, wallets, etc. With the school, market and shops around Florence, you are bound to find a piece that you love. Whether it’s for you or for a loved one, who wouldn’t appreciate a Florentine souvenir? The abundance of options also makes a leather good accessible for any price range, whether you want a cheaper option or a more upscale good.

One of the most popular sunset spots in Florence is Piazzale Michelangelo, which is situated atop a hill making it the perfect lookout spot. The piazza gets busy around sunset, so get there a little early, bring a snack and enjoy the sunset. This spot allows you to view the city from a new perspective, as you can overlook the city and see the Arno stretch as far as the eye can see. The Duomo towering over the surrounding buildings among a background of sunset-colored oranges, reds and pinks is a breathtaking sight that will make anyone instantly fall in love with the medieval city.

If the steep walk up to the piazza isn’t your thing, then another great sunset spot is any of the bridges that cross the Arno, except for the Ponte Vecchio. One of my favorite activities was to get Gusta Pizza take-out and a few drinks, grab my friends and find a spot along the bridge to sit and watch the sun go down. I was surrounded by bustling people walking by others sitting along the bridge with me, and used those moments to take in the beauty of Florence and enjoy your company with friends.

At first, Florence can seem overwhelming with the plentiful options of things to do and see that the city offers. While these are just a few options and recommendations, everyone can find something that caters to them in this city. Whether you plan out each day or fly by the seat of your pants, Florence is a beautiful city that is sure to capture your heart.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Sydney is a Junior at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, majoring in Media and Communication Studies. When I'm not planning my next trip, I'm discovering new music, trying new restaurants, and lounging at the beach.