My Favorite Thanksgiving Foods as a Pescatarian

I’ve been a pescatarian in a family of carnivores for about five years now. That means that I’ve had to navigate through four (almost five!) Thanksgivings with no turkey. I used to stuff myself with mac ‘n cheese and all the sides, but quickly learned that I wouldn’t stay full for very long. I had to find a solution. Now, I would consider myself an expert in the field. I’ve encompassed five pescatarian-friendly recipes that are both delicious and filling! 

1. salmon and potato skillet

I absolutely adore salmon. I think it should be incorporated into all of my meals for the future. This recipe is particularly good because it mixes protein with potatoes: two crucial elements of a Thanksgiving dinner. At a whopping 32 grams of protein and only a 45 minute cook time, this is my go-to. Check out a recipe here!

2. Classic shrimp scampi

In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with shrimp. My family always used to get shrimp cocktails as an appetizer to tide us over until dinner was ready. I think shrimp scampi takes that and escalates it in a perfect way. The recipe here just sticks to the basics: garlic, butter, and (of course) shrimp. There are other recipes that elevate the dish. My favorite trick when serving this is to put the shrimp on skewers, add bell peppers, and make shrimp kebabs. Of course, you can also serve it as a spaghetti garnish to incorporate the pasta element of Thanksgiving. 

3. eggplant parmesan

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Eggplant parm? This is Thanksgiving, not Olive Garden. Yes, you’re right, but trust me on this one. I never liked eggplant parmesan until I started working at a pizza place. I learned how to make my own tomato sauce and the tricks to get this dish just right. Now, I can’t get enough.

The most important thing is to slice the eggplant evenly and as thinly as possible. This will ensure that it cooks evenly and is pleasant to eat. This recipe consists of homemade sauce, but you can also pick up tomato sauce from the store with similar results. At a cooking time of about an hour, this dish is sure to thrill. Serve with a side of spaghetti, and you’re set! Check out this recipe!

4. Zucchini fritters

There are two amazing things about this recipe: it’s totally vegan, and you only need two ingredients! I first made these with my dad when I was around seven. Since then, we’ve had so much fun experimenting with the combinations we can make. My favorite so far has been adding corn to the recipe. The best thing about this is that they take less than five minutes to cook, so they’re perfect for a time crunch! You can also air fry them. Zucchini has about two grams of protein, but you can add more protein-dense ingredients to the fritters. Try this recipe!

5. coconut chickpea curry

I know this recipe doesn’t scream Thanksgiving. However, it’s a one-pot wonder. When you’re crammed for space (or you just don’t want to do all those dishes), it’s perfect!  This has 16 grams of protein, so it’s a good option. My best friend has given me the best tips when making curry, and I’ve been entrusted to share them with you. Don’t underestimate the power of garam masala. You can serve next to rice, and the leftovers stay very well. 

With these recipes, you’re sure to find some good pescatarian, vegetarian, and vegan alternatives. Thanksgiving is tough to navigate when you don’t eat meat. Now, you can be fat and happy with the rest of your family!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

Mikaela Georgi is a freshman at FSU. She is an editor for Her Campus. Currently, she is seeking a BA in Theatre with a double major in English. Though this is her first year working with Her Campus, she loves the newspaper. She had a satire column that gave dating advice. She was also the Copy Editor, and she ensured that each article was up to the newspaper’s standards. When she’s not writing an article, you can most likely find her on a stage somewhere or fueling her caffeine addiction: two activities she deems equal in importance. She loves acting, directing, and playwriting. She’s also made it a goal to find all the best parks and greenery for reading YA romance in Tallahassee. It’s going well so far. She’s determined to make every song she loves a karaoke song, and right now she's probably petting a cat somewhere.