Music has been my saving grace through this almost year-long pandemic. New releases keep me excited; they give me a chance to discover a whole new side to an artist as well as find new music to add to my rotation. I’ve discovered so many new albums in the past couple of months, but there have been some that have stuck more than others. Here are the three albums that I currently have on repeat.

Positions by Ariana Grande

Ariana Blow Kiss
Giphy
I have not stopped listening to Positions since the day it came out. I have always been a huge Ariana Grande stan, but I have never been as attached to one of her albums as I am to this one. I am in love with 11 out of the 14 songs and in-like with two of them. Regardless, this is still an album I can listen to from start to finish without any issues. “Off The Table” has been my favorite from the first day it came out and it’s still my favorite now. This album showcases her vocals in a whole new light and gives a very intimate look into the new chapter of her life that she’s in now.

With the impending release of the deluxe version, I am so incredibly excited to hear the four new tracks that we’ll be receiving. If they’re anything like the original ones, I’m going to fall even more in love with this body of work.

Euphoric Sad Songs by RAYE

headphones leaning against a stack of records
Photo by blocks from Unsplash
I found RAYE’S music by chance. One night I was on Spotify’s ‘New Music Friday’ playlist and saw a song titled “Love Of Your Life.” I was intrigued by the title and decided to take a listen. It has been my most played song ever since, even though I found it back in early November. I fell in love with the song immediately and ran to check out the rest of her work.

Euphoric Sad Songs is filled with the most beautiful array of songs dedicated to dealing with and recovering from heartbreak. The album sequence starts off with “Love Me Again” and is followed by songs dedicated to the initial shock and sadness of being broken up with. Then, it transitions into the hurt of seeing your ex with someone new. The album then addresses the feeling of realizing that you’re healing and no longer longing for your ex anymore. Finally, it culminates in a newfound appreciation for yourself and being hopeful for your next love with the ending track, “Love Of Your Life.” This album will take you through a whirlwind of emotions while introducing you to this wonderful artist.

Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa

Side shot of Dua Lipa with her feet up in a convertible car
Hugo Comte
This album came out in the very beginning of quarantine and changed the course of the next few months afterward. I’d heard and enjoyed Dua Lipa songs before, mostly just “New Rules” and “Electricity,” but Future Nostalgia turned me into a stan. “Don’t Start Now” was a cultural reset. Dua Lipa knows how to create bops and this entire album makes you want to dance. I thought there wasn’t any way that Dua could top “Don’t Start Now” and then she released the perfection that is “Pretty Please,” “Love Again” and “Cool.” All three of those songs have been overshadowed but in my opinion, are the best on the album. This album is able to lift me up no matter what’s going on. I don’t know how she will be able to top this with her next album, but I can’t wait to see her try.

All three of these albums have breathed a new life into me. I am obsessed with the pop perfection that Dua and RAYE bring, and am enamored with Ariana’s deeper dive into R&B. These aren’t just my favorite albums, however, since these women are also my favorite artists. I can’t wait to hear new bodies of work that rival the perfection of these three. I hope that I have convinced everyone to check these albums out!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

My name is Nicole. I'm a junior at Florida State University. I enjoy listening to music, hanging out with my friends, eating Italian food and taking naps.
Her Campus at Florida State University.