Movies That I Consider ‘Essential Viewing’

I believe that there are a couple of movies that have to be watched. Of course, there are the classics like Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Gone With the Wind, but I want to talk about movies that are so prevalent in today’s culture that I consider them to be “essential viewing.” The following is a list (in no particular order) of movies that everyone should see at least once. 

Lady Bird

Synopsis: The main character, Lady Bird, struggles with her relationship with her mother, her peers and with the place where she lives.

Reasoning: I believe that this movie is almost a perfect depiction of a strained mother-daughter relationship, which is probably something most of us have felt at some point. Lady Bird (the character) is extremely relatable and is refreshingly honest with her feelings and emotions. It is almost impossible to scroll through Twitter without finding a screenshot or quote from the movie. 

Twilight

Synopsis: After moving to a small town in the Pacific Northwest to be with her dad, Bella Swan meets Edward Cullen. She slowly figures out that he is a vampire and begins to fall in love with him. 

Reasoning: While I’d love to think that everyone has already seen Twilight, that is not the case. I’ve found many people who have passed upon the movie because of its reputation, but I am here telling you that it is much better than people online may have led you to believe. It is such a fun watch with friends and is even very comforting to watch alone on a rainy day. Additionally, there are so many Twilight pop culture references that they are impossible to avoid. 

The Notebook

Synopsis: Sometime in the 1940s, Noah meets a rich girl, Allie, and the two fall deeply in love. However, many different conflicts push them apart and they do not see each other for years. Much later, they find each other again. 

Reasoning: This is an essential romantic movie. Even if you do not like romcoms, I believe that you should still watch this one, and be prepared to cry. As opposed to many other similar movies, The Notebook depicts a relationship that is never perfect and much more realistic. 

The Hunger Games

Synopsis: In a dystopian society, teenagers and young adults are forced to fight for their lives in a public and widely televised game. Katniss and Peeta are both chosen to represent their district and must fight tooth and nail to survive. 

Reasoning: Honestly, I do not know how it is possible for anyone to not have seen this movie by now. If you haven’t seen it, go watch it. Like right now. This series defined an entire generation, especially from 2012 to 2015. This is the quintessential dystopian movie to watch.

Little Women (2019)

Synopsis: Following the sisters Jo, Amy, Meg and Beth, the viewers get to follow them as they grow up and become their own people. The movie flashes between their life as sisters living in one house to them all being separated and dealing with the harsh realities of life. 

Reasoning: I think I can say that this is my favorite movie of all time without hesitation. The cast in this movie (notably Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh and Timothée Chalamet) all do a fantastic job. Additionally, Little Women depicts the feeling of nostalgia so well that it hurts. Please do yourself a favor and watch this! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Alexandra is a junior at Florida State University. She wishes to pursue a career in editing and publishing!