Modern Rape Culture Awareness

Trigger Warning: Discussion of Rape and Rape Culture

The article you are about to read was difficult to write because it is a sensitive subject. It was most challenging to write it in a way that removed the author from the story line. As a way for me to communicate on a more personal level, I have written this article in the third person. I didn’t want this article to come across as mechanical or robotic by writing in the third person. With that being said, also recognize that the following article does not reflect the viewpoints of FSU or Her Campus collectively, and is intended only as a social/cultural critique.

In today’s society, it can be surprising how casual the term “rape” is thrown around. It’s even more surprising in light of recent events.  There is controversy with the stigma surrounding rape victims and their attackers. Blame can be shifted, isolation occurs, and accusations are thrown, but unfortunately, society still views rape in an abstract way.  The culture that surrounds this half-acknowledgement (jokes, articles, characters in shows and movies, etc.) is known as “rape culture.”

In response to current rape culture, FSU holds a Rape Awareness week every year.  It was created in an effort to help introduce a different level of thought. There needs to be a removal of blame from rape victims, and strong support system to empower them to speak out against their attackers.

More often than not, because of our rape culture, there is a protective shield around many attackers. It was seen in Steubenville, Ohio this year.  In this case, not only was a 16 year old girl raped in public while unconscious, but it was also videotaped and shown through various social media outlets.  The attackers were convicted this past week, which is a huge win for rape victims everywhere. (Huffington Post, 2013)

Furthermore, according to www.policymic.com, marital rape became illegal recently, in 1993. This is only one example of the confusion that surrounds rape. The definition of rape has changed and evolved through time to include a wider acknowledgment of what is rape. But still, the laws surrounding rape are controversial and ignite arguments nation-wide. 

Rape Awareness Week kicked off April 8th and was hosted by a collection of organizations like The F-Word, Dream Defenders, Victim Advocate Program, The Center for Participant Education, Men Advocating Responsible Contact, and the English Department, that felt passionately about raising awareness for this culture.

There were a number of events throughout the week that focused intensely on rape culture like a consent workshop which helped students learn about situations and how to say no. Thursday, April 11th, the documentary “No!” was shown in HCB 102 and was followed by a discussion with director Aishah Shahidah Simmons. The film, according to www.notherapedocumentary.org, is an “award-wining, internationally-acclaimed, groundbreaking documentary explores the international reality of rape and other forms of sexual assault through the first person testimonies, scholarship, spirituality, activism and cultural work of African-Americans. “No!” also explores how rape is used as a weapon of homophobia”. Simmons, after the discussion of her film tweeted as well as shared reactions of the public after coming to her film. @redclayscholar said “in other news, last night was my first time watching @AfroLez’s documentary _No!_. It invoked some strong emotions I thought I’d healed”.

On Friday, April 12th, there was a rally to “End Rape Culture” on campus that started from the free speech zone in the union and marched all the way to Landis, speaking out against rape culture. On Saturday, the Jet Set Lounge will be hosting a benefit show for the Refuge House where all the proceeds went to the Refuge House which provides “life-saving services, advocates for victims of violence, and educates the community about domestic violence and sexual assault” (www.refugehouse.com).

Overall, while Rape Awareness was for just a week, the month of April is considered Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

However, allow me to remove the impersonal tone of the article for a brief moment and say that every day should be dedicated to rape awareness. The encouragement of rape jokes, the validation of rape, the blaming, mocking, or judging of victims needs to stop! There is never a moment where making a joke about rape is okay, because while it may seem appropriate to you, you have to remember that rape is someone else’s reality.  I’m sure that it’s not funny to them. If you or anyone you know has been a victim of rape, speak out! There are a number of organizations that will provide assistance. FSU’s University Counseling Center offers counseling for rape (http://counseling.fsu.edu/), the FSU Police Department offers Rape Aggression Defense (http://www.police.fsu.edu/Crime-Prevention/Rape-Aggression-Defense/RAD-Schedule), and there is also Victim’s Advocate (www.victimadvocate.fsu.edu). 

My name is Mary Love and I'm a Senior and double major in English and Hotel Management at Florida State University.  I am more commonly found writing fiction pieces, and editing everything I can.  Her Campus is my first venture into published nonfiction and women's magazines.  I think Her Campus is a great resource for women who are both smart and feminine.  If you would like to contact me for an interview or to answer a Zodiac Question as Madame Mary, please email marylove@hercampus.com.