Culture > News

Midterm Election?: Things You Need to Know Before You Cast Your Vote in November

I assume since you are reading this article that you are registered to vote. If not, here is a link to the Florida registration system. Now that we have that sorted, we can discuss the jobs and the election.

The midterm election will take place on Nov. 6th, which is the first Tuesday in November. However, you can vote by mail or early if you cannot make it to the election booth. If you wish to vote by mail, you can call or email your Supervisor of Elections in your county. In Florida, you must contact your supervisor before Oct. 11th! If you are curious about the candidates, you can sign up on the same website to see the ballot in advance.

The governor is popularly elected and serves as the chief executive officer of the law. They are implemented state and control the state’s executive branch. Think president of your state if that is easier.

The U.S. Representative is the person who is elected to go to Washington D.C. every two years. Every house member serves on committees and votes on bills when they come to the floor. Congress has a major role in funding government programs and recently passed the Inflation Reduction Act.

Some states have an election for their U.S. Senator. Two senators per state are elected every six years. Senators also serve on committees and vote on bills! Senators vote on whether to confirm Supreme Court justices. Their role is also to pass legislation, and there are 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans, so votes are SO tight!

The election for a State Senator happens every four years. U.S. Senators vote on legislation, state spending, and raising/lowering taxes. The State Senate also has committees, and each state senator is assigned to work on two or three committees.

A State Representative serves a two-year term. A state representative also votes on legislation and serves on two to three committees.

A judge in the county courts serves six-year terms. The courts have been referred to as the “People’s Court” because it deals with “citizen disputes such as violations of municipal and county ordinances, traffic offenses, landlord-tenant disputes, misdemeanor criminal matters, and monetary disputes up to and including $15,000.”

A judge in circuit judge hears all civil and criminal cases that are not in the jurisdiction of the county courts. Think family law, juvenile delinquency, and guardianship.

A county commissioner oversees the county’s management and administration, deals with long-term planning, and manages the county’s budget. The commissioner also represents the county of interest at the state and federal levels.

The school board supervises the county’s public school system and determines the rates of district taxes. The school board hopes to be the citizen’s voice in public education.

Finally, at the end of the ballot, there are usually a couple of referendums. Referendums are when the entire public votes on a single question. For example, Floridians voted 65% for an amendment that allows former felons who served their terms to vote.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Ava is a freshman here at FSU. She is majoring in Political Science and Psychology! She is involved in Alpha Gam, Freshman Leadership Institute, Leading Women of Tomorrow, etc. You will probably find her on campus reading or listening to a true crime podcast.