Meet Stephanie Urbina: the Femina Perfecta

Name: Stephanie Urbina

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Major: Communications

Year: Freshman

A femina perfecta, or ‘complete woman,’ is expected to possess the traits of Vires (strength), Artes (knowledge), and Mores (tradition), and this campus celeb falls nothing short of that. Stephanie Urbina is only two weeks in to her first fall semester here at Florida State, but she’s already becoming an inspiring role model to students everywhere as she follows her favorite mantra. She was carefully selected to attend the Service Leadership Seminar this summer and was able to learn more about the abundant opportunities and options available in the community. Stephanie also received an “Uphold the Garnet and Gold” coin over the summer, from the Associate Director for the FSU CARE program David Kenton, for her display of hard work and tenacity.

Her Campus (HC):  What exactly is the Service Leadership Seminar?

Stephanie Urbina (SU): It’s a week-long seminar for incoming FSU freshman, where you basically learn [what] the Center for Leadership and Social Change is about and what they do. Their goal is to “create positive, sustainable change”  and it’s a great way to meet people and introduce yourself to what FSU and the Center are about, as well as [introducing you to] opportunities in the community. We actually did a project with the Big Bend Food Pantry where we made little bags for kids because on the weekends they don’t have food because they aren’t at school.  You get exposed to a lot of different things to decide what you’re good at and dedicate yourself to what you love.

HC: What do you think was the highlight or your favorite part of SLS?

SU: We had small groups, and at the end of every day we would be able to chill and discuss what happened that day. We all talked about our highs and lows and our favorite and least favorite parts, and it was a great way to get to know people on a deeper level. It was like a safe zone where we had to respect each other and had the chance to speak our minds in a safe environment.

HC: What kind of impact do you think SLS has made on you as a person and a student at FSU?

SU: Now I’m definitely more open to trying new things. I remember to put my needs and personal goals in perspective because there are so many times where you give yourself to the community, but you need to know your values and morals before anything.

HC: Do you have a role model that influences you in life?

SU: My mentor, Stephanie Coats, who guided me through high school. I hear her in my head every day. She always repeated the same lessons throughout the 5 years I knew her, so her words really stuck with me. She instilled deep morals in me that I stand by to this day. One thing she would always say is, “hard work beats talent while talent doesn’t work very hard.” My parents also used to say that all the time as well. They also had a large influence on my life and made me who I am today. My dad actually walked all the way from Central America to Mexico when he was 15 to better his life, which shows his drive and passion. I think of working hard as giving back to my mentor and my parents for what they gave me.

HC:  What are some of your tips for “Upholding the Garnet and Gold”?

SU: Know when to say yes and know when to say no. Every day at Florida State you are just thrown opportunities. You can do basically anything you want here. You just have to know who you are and who you want to be. Say yes to the opportunities that scare you or that you may think you can’t take on, but know when to say no to those tempting parties or events when you have responsibilities to take care of. 

Felicity was previously the Style Editor for Her Campus Media. Felicity graduated in May of 2018 from Florida State University with a double major in Editing, Writing, & Media and Media/Communication Studies. Before joining the team full-time, Felicity was a staff writer, content editor, the managing editor, and the campus correspondent throughout her four years at the FSU chapter. She has interned with Better Homes & Gardens, Sarasota Magazine, and Sachs Media Group during her college career. In her spare time, Felicity likes to explore new coffee shops, go to any local concert, or hunt for new finds at her favorite thrift stores. Felicity was previously the Style Editor for Her Campus Media. Felicity graduated in May of 2018 from Florida State University with a double major in Editing, Writing, & Media and Media/Communication Studies. Before joining the team full-time, Felicity was a staff writer, content editor, the managing editor, and the campus correspondent throughout her four years at the FSU chapter. She has interned with Better Homes & Gardens, Sarasota Magazine, and Sachs Media Group during her college career. In her spare time, Felicity likes to explore new coffee shops, go to any local concert, or hunt for new finds at her favorite thrift stores.
Her Campus at Florida State University.