Meet Okeechobee Fest: Coachella and Bonnaroo’s Wild Little Sister

Whether it was for a Woodstock themed high school grad party or a 21st birthday “Peace & Love” waltz here in Tallahassee, we’ve all dressed up as ’60s counterculture inspired hippies at some point in our lives.

Born into the era of smartphones and minimalistic fashion, we are obviously drawn to emulate the complete opposite of what we’re expected to be. We take any opportunity to prance around with (plastic) flowers in our hair, blast The Who from our shiny hybrid cars and preach peace and love in the midst of a world plagued with war, racism and political scandal. In our special, social-media crazed way, we millennials have created a counterculture movement of our own.

Take the hippie movement, jumble it around a bit, up the price a few notches, throw a few filters on it, and you’ve got todays youth culture, or at least what it wants to be. But our obsession with ’60s culture doesn’t stop at just music and fashion; over the past few years it’s taken over our lifestyle, including the everyday events we invest our (and our parents’) money into.

If we’re talking ’60s events, it’s impossible not to mention Woodstock Music & Art Festival, a pivotal moment in the counterculture movement and one of the “50 Moments That Changed the History of Rock and Roll,” according to Rolling Stone. To appeal to today’s youth (let’s be real, we all wish we could’ve been at Woodstock with Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin) and rack in a couple million bucks, festival promoters have come up with some of the most anticipated music festivals in the world—Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival and Ultra Music Festival, better known by their first names among fans.

Although many of us Floridians have grown up with Ultra Miami in our backyards, the music selection at this EDM-centered celebration appeals to a selective audience. Coachella and Bonnaroo are states away, and although we wish we could dish out the resources to pack a car up with our best friends and road trip to Tennessee and California, that isn’t always possible.

And that’s where Okeechobee Fest comes in, dressed from head to toe in basically anything Vanessa Hudgens would post on her Instagram feed. 

Courtesy: Okeechobee 

Okeechobee Fest Music & Arts Festival is an upcoming music festival that will be held in Okeechobee, Florida, inspired by Coachella, Bonnaroo and Ultra. Although specific details including the lineup are yet to be announced, we’ve got some information about the festival that is sure to get you pumped for Florida’s very own Woodstock, coming to the Sunshine State in Spring 2016.

Who: Soundslinger, the production company responsible for Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival is in charge of finding the acts for the event. Earlier this month, Soundslinger released a statement promising a multi-genre combination of bands, DJ’s and top artists.

What: Okeechobee Fest Music & Arts Festival!

Where: Sunshine Grove, an 800-acre piece of land north of Okeechobee City, Florida.

When: March 4-6, 2016.

Why: Because why not? It was about time Florida got some attention. Stay tuned for the lineup…

Hi! I 'm Sara. You can find me roaming the streets of Tallahassee, Florida, in hopes of finding some cool people, places, and things to write about. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, I've ventured 8 hours away from home to study Public Relations and Creative Writing at Florida State University. I like creativity, dance parties, writing, traveling, reading, and having a good time, all the time. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.