Meet Lanie Baney: Ballerina and FSU Circus Star

Lanie Baney bo-baney,

Banana-fana fo-faney,

Fee-fi-mo-manie.

Lanie!

Meet Campus Cutie Lanie Baney! She loves kids, ballet, and reading classic novels on the beach. In fact, Lanie likes just about everything and is involved just about everywhere on campus! Check out our interview to find out more!

Name: Lanie Baney

Major: Psychology

Minors: Biology and Child Development

Hometown: Indialantic. FL

Interests: Classic novels, ballet, Judy Garland, Converse, chocolate covered pretzels

Relationship Status: Sorry fellas, she’s off the market.

Her Campus (HC): What are you involved with on campus?

Lanie Baney (LB): I am a Resident Assistant in Landis Hall. I am a part of the Sexual Violence Prevention Committee. I am a part of the Phi Eta Sigma honor society. I volunteer for Best Buddies, which works with people with intellectual disabilities. I also participate in The FSU Circus and am the VP of Recognition for NRHH (National Residence Hall Honorary).

HC: What do you do for the FSU Circus?

LB: This year I am on Bike for Five. Last year I was on the developmental team. That basically means you’re a red-shirted freshman. They have you work on all the acts to better prepare you for the next few years. Bike for Five is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. A guy rides this bike built for Russian circus bears and they ride around in circles, and four girls climb up onto him and the bike and they do tricks. It’s really cool! If you want to see it, we have shows the first three weekends in April, so come check us out. There’s my shameless plug.

HC: How long have you done ballet?

LB: I’ve been dancing since I was 3. For a while I hated ballet, especially when I had to wear tights. That was mostly when I was just a temperamental 9-year-old. Now it’s what I mainly focus on. I take classes here with the school of dance. I focus on ballet in both pointe and flat shoe.

HC: What do you want to be when you grow up?

LB: This is a loaded question. For Plan A I would like to graduate and go onto Teach For America. If I figure out that I love teaching as much as I think I will, I’ll go back and get my doctorate in early education with a focus in special education. I’ll hopefully live in either Michigan or North Carolina. My Plan B is to go directly into med school to get my doctorate in Family and Child Sciences. I’ll go through and become a child life specialist and hopefully work at Johns Hopkins one day. Long story short – I want to work with kids. Then when I’m old and decrepit and can’t think anymore I want to open a dance studio. I’d love to take over the studio I grew up in.

HC: What are some interesting facts about you?

LB: I’m double jointed in my back, and my eyes are two different colors and they change sometimes. Right now one is blue and one is green. When I am angry they turn navy blue.

HC: If you could meet with anyone dead or alive who would it be?

LB: I would go on a weekend trip with Judy Garland. We’d just really need a getaway. I want to know a lot more about her life than documentaries and biographies can tell me because I think she’s really interesting, and if I could I would be her.

HC: One more thing before you go…if you had to have Squidward’s laugh (and you laugh a lot) or you started sobbing for two minutes every time someone sneezed in your vicinity, what would you pick?

LB: Hmm. I think I would rather cry when people sneeze because at least I’d clean my tear ducts and people wouldn’t have to be made uncomfortable by my laugh. Plus I feel like I could totally play off the whole crying thing.

**Immediately after this question was asked, the HC interviewer sneezed twice in a row. You can’t make this stuff up. Needless to say, Lanie changed her mind. **

Courtnee is a senior at the beautiful Florida State Univeristy majoring in Public Relations. She is involved in various student organizations on campus, is a Resident Assistant in Landis Hall (shout out to her BLG fam and the 4th floor!), and works part time at The Zimmerman Agency doing what she loves.In her free time, you can find Courtnee reading a book, playing soccer, binge watching netflix, laying on the beach, or eating entire pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in one sitting (usually while binge watching Netflix).She has a slight obsession with puppies and boybands and her wonderful family.After graduation, Courtnee is moving to Munich, Germany for a year where she will be an au pair. Once back from this journey Courtnee hopes to move to New York City and find a way to become a part of the SNL team, whether it's as a public relations associate, cast member or janitor... She WILL make it to SNL.She hopes you take something out of "The Collegiette's Guide to Happy and Healthy Living," even if it's just a laugh. Thank you for reading :) "She was a girl who new how to be happy even when she was sad, and that's important." ~Marilyn Monroe
Her Campus at Florida State University.