Name: Michael Taylor

Year: Junior

Major: Geography

Hometown: Palm Harbor, FL

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Her Campus (HC): So Michael, tell us a little bit about yourself!

Michael Taylor (MT): I’m a junior geography major from Clearwater and I do graphic design, specialized in sports logos!

HC: Word on the street is that you’re quite creative! How did you first get into designing logos and concepts? Were you self-taught?

MT: I saw a blog that would post hockey concepts and my friend and I were like “we could totally do that,” so we both just started making them! I started on MS Paint, but now I have a more advanced (and free) program now that I’ve been using for around five years. I was pretty much self-taught, like I haven’t taken any classes or anything. Some logos are easier to make; I mean it all depends. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes and sometimes it takes a couple of hours. I have a lot of friends who give me second opinions, which is totally helpful.

HC: Wow, that’s awesome. Have any of your logos been publically used?

MT: Yeah, my first big logo was for a club soccer team in Palm Harbor called West Florida Premier. That was 5 years ago, and since I’ve had a lot of people find my portfolio (https://dribbble.com/MichaelDanger19) and ask me to design stuff for them as well.

HC: Do you have a favorite logo you’ve designed?

MT: That’s really hard because they’re all my babies, but one time I tricked people into thinking one of my logos was a leaked logo for a major league soccer team, so that was really funny. I started getting Twitter notifications and tons of followers, everyone was like “is that the real logo?” I just predicted the name and colors of the new team that had just been announced. I was really going off nothing, but people believed that it was the real deal. People thought mine should be the actual logo!

HC: Is this just more of a hobby, or could you see yourself making this a lasting career?

MT: It started out as a hobby but I’ve been making pretty decent money off of it, not enough to live off though. I tried to enroll in the graphic design program at FSU but they unfortunately cancelled it.

HC: In that case, what would your ideal career be?

MT: Ideally, some sport management career working front office for a team.

HC: What’s your favorite part about being a Florida State Student?

MT: I came here wanting to go to a big school with competitive sports teams and I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth!

HC: Involvement on campus?

MT: Yeah, I’m in GESSA club, which is a geography/environmental studies club. I play a lot of intramural sports, like Flag football, kickball, soccer, and softball, all within the last year.

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

MT:  Logos and Tumblr.

HC: Favorite local restaurant?

MT: Mr. Robotos!

Sarah Shellabarger is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in English - Editing, Writing, Media and minoring in Communications. This is her third semester as a HCFSU staff writer. When she's not drowning in assigned readings, Sarah enjoys attempting to get celebrities to follow her on Twitter, daily Dunkin Donuts trips, praising Stevie Nicks, and (unsuccesfully) begging her boyfriend to buy her a kitten. Sarah hopes to one day put her witty banter to good use by writing for a clever yet underappreciated TV show, and eventually becoming the next Tina Fey.    
Her Campus at Florida State University.