brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Maya Martinez: Photographer Extraordinaire!

Name: Maya Martinez

Year: Freshman

Age: 18

Major: Studio Art

Her Campus (HC): How did you first get into photography?

Maya Martinez (MM): I first got into photography because I saw Lords of Dog Town in eleventh grade, and then the documentary about it, where I learned about Craig Steyck. He was the photographer who documented a lot of the Dog Town days when skating started to reinvent its aesthetic. Skating used to be considered a dorky sport before skate teams like the Zephyr one, which Steyck shot, and then it developed this aesthetic of bad a**-ness. Soon after that I saw an Annie Leibovitz show and started learning about how she toured with the Rolling Stones. I was really inspired by photographers like them who were hanging out with and documenting amazing moments of culture and history.

HC: What was your first camera?

MM: My first camera was a Nikon D70, I bought it with one of my first paychecks which I was really proud of, but it was about 50 bucks. I bought it off of one of my art teachers.

HC: What kind of camera do you use now?

MM: I still use the Nikon D70.

HC: Does your camera have a name?

MM: My camera doesn’t have a name, but I am very protective of it. I would never let a stranger handle it.

HC: How would you describe your photographic style?

MM: Right now I’m very much into documentary type photos, but I am also starting to really get into fine art photography. I guess my style is varying right now; currently my art in general is focusing on commenting about what it is to be intimate today.

HC: Which photographers do you take inspiration from?

MM: A lot of different photographers have influenced me over the years. Right now I’m totally inspired by artist like Sandy Kim, Petra Collins, Billy Cunningham, and Ryan Trecartin. Sandy Kim is like an ultimate favorite right now, she just moved to New York from San Fran with her boyfriend Colby Hewitt. She documents her crazy life, but her style is so beautiful and honest. Be warned her work is primarily NSFW (not safe for work). She shot the ATL Twins for Vice, she’s shot some fashion editorials for Purple Magazine. She had a show in Japan this year too! I also think her friend, Petra Collins, is an awesome artist. She’s curated some really brilliant shows. She does a lot of fashion editorials that are definitely out of the box and give a new lens to fashion.

HC: If you had the chance to photograph any one person, place, or object, whom/what would it be?

MM: I would definitely take the opportunity to be a combat photographer. I don’t know if you have heard of the documentary This is What Winning Looks Like, but it’s amazing and it was shot by Ben Anderson. He isn’t a photographer, but he is a journalist and film maker. I know combat photography isn’t a field woman have a presence in because it’s dangerous, but I would love to have that experience and be part of history in that way.

HC: Do you see yourself having a career in photography or is it more of a hobby for you?

MM: I am pursuing a career in photography. I am a Studio Art major and plan to declare a second major in Editing, Writing, and Media. My dream would to be writing and shooting for Vice magazine.

HC: What are you currently doing in the field of photography?

MM: I am an event photographer around Tallahassee, with Haute Shot Productions. I am currently taking a break from that though because I really need to focus on my school work. In my art, I am primarily making work commenting on intimacy in the new age, the porn industry, sexuality and acceptance, and being comfortable with my body. I recently did a self portrait series in which I took honest, raw photos of myself and cropped them to take certain parts of my body out of context, then juxtaposed them with each other to contrast the textures my body creates. It really was an exploration of myself.

HC: Do you view selfies as an art form?

MM: In a sense yes, the project I mentioned in about my self-exploration was based on the argument of selfie art. I think if it has the intent, concept, and perfect execution of art then yes it is art. I really love this video/internet performance piece done by Petra Cortright on YouTube titled True Life: I’m a Selfie, it’s hilarious.

HC: What advice would you give to aspiring photographers?

MM: Always be working. Always be learning. Always be getting feedback on your work. Always be learning about more and more techniques, other artists, and influences. Always be finding inspiration. Work hard to develop your own style and find your own voice. Be able to talk about your work and your concepts intellectually. Be appreciative of the history behind art and embrace it, learn about it. Be serious about making work. Work hard, because now-a-days everyone is a photographer and it’s a very competitive field.

HC: How do you feel photography is different from other art forms? How is it similar?

MM: Art is everywhere and photography is everywhere. The two influence each other a lot. There is a tension between documentary and fine art photography and there is always a debate between what is and isn’t art and who determines what. It’s a bit of a mess. Some of my work combines painting and photography. I don’t think one art form is better than the other. You can find a lot of my work at maya-martinez.squarespace.com

Her Campus at Florida State University.