Marlon McPhatter: Your New Favorite Advisor at FSU

Marlon is the Undergraduate Advisor for the Sport Management program here at FSU, so if you’re interested in that field of study, he’s your guy! He’s also the life of the party at the Palace Saloon, and I can always expect a bear hug whenever I see him there.

Her Campus (HC): Tell us about yourself!

Marlon McPhatter (MM): I’m a Ph.D. candidate in my final semester at Florida State University in Sport Management (College of Education).  I’m from Laurinburg, N.C. and I finished my master’s degree in business from the University of North Carolina and my undergrad business degree from Georgetown University (Washington, D.C.).  After school, I plan to re-enter the field of sport management and advise others who want to pursue sport management as a career.

HC: What do you do for a living? What makes you love your job?

MM: I’m the Undergraduate Advisor and Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of Sport Management at FSU. I love my job because it’s always great to help students achieve their goal of finishing an undergraduate degree.  Also, I feel as if I help to guide them toward the next step in their lives, whether it’s toward a graduate degree or employment in the workforce.  I feel like I can really make a strong impact on their lives and can be influential for their future.

HC: What do you like to do in your time off?

MM: Hanging out with friends. Many of them go to the Palace Saloon to play pool, darts, and joke on each other.  It’s a friendly establishment with many good people.  I also love to travel to new places. There are so many really cool places here in Florida, and during my time in school I’ve tried to go to a new place whenever I have a break (as limited as breaks are as a Ph.D. student).

HC: Do you have any advice for students who email you or come to see you in your office?

MM: Greet people with a smile and a firm handshake.  Be prepared for any meeting in advance. Don’t underestimate each encounter you have because it may be one that changes your life.

HC: What’s your favorite quote?

MM: “Seize the moment…don’t wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Weak men wait for opportunities; strong men make them. Know the true value of time.”

HC: Do you have any celeb crushes?

MM: Ronda Rousey, Halle Berry, Tina Turner (in that order).  Strong, powerful women are perfect.

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Her Campus at Florida State University.