Making the Road Trip: Why You Should Go to HHN

There’s some part in all of us that likes a little scare and what better way to get it than Orlando, Florida’s own Halloween Horror Nights. As an Orlando native, HHN has always been a staple in my calendar year.

Even as exciting as HHN sounds, I know a lot of people may be thinking, “but isn’t that a far drive?” Having had the pleasure of going this year, I thought I might give you some insight into how incredible (and worth the road trip) HHN really is.

For starters, this is a premier event. That means that the creators of the event work tirelessly to create terrifyingly accurate houses that not only give you the chills, but go beyond impressive in structure as well. This year marks the 24th year that the event has been held, making it one of the best so far. For those of you who have never been, (and for those of you who have, I promise the best part is coming) the structure of the event is based around four key components: the houses, the scare zones, the rides, and the tradition of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.

Covering the highlight of the event, here is a breakdown of the houses. Every year eight themed houses are constructed around the clock to be ready for the debut in late September. This year the themes of the houses are:

• Halloween, the movie: This house is based on the classic John Carpenter film, Halloween and brings it to life. Guests take the trip through the house just as the main character Michael Myers would, and are constantly dodging to avoid a rampant murder.
  • The Walking Dead: End of the Line: If you love Walking Dead, this is the house for you.  Guests are taken through the fourth season of the show, and get up close and personal with some of the most graphic scenes from this comic book-made-hit-series. I won’t give away too much for those of you who haven’t watched, but trust me, it’s deadly accurate.
  • AVP: Alien vs. Predator: I can’t think of anything more terrifying than walking into a raging war between serious monsters from another planet. This sci-fi house will leave you running for the exit.
  • From Dusk Till Dawn: Taking you through a creepy vampire infested Las Vegas, you’ll find yourself avoiding being taken down by the Mob. This house will have you laughing at the beginning and screaming as you exit.
  • Dracula Untold-Reign of Blood: Vampires seem to be a little bit of a favorite for the creators of HHN, however these vampires will have you in a more traditional setting. Think classical and bloody.
  • Dollhouse of the Damned: Imagine the creepiest doll you have ever seen in your life and then prepare to have nightmares. This house is full of the most warped ideas of a childhood favorite.
  • Giggles & Gore, Inc: Dubbed to be the funny house of the year, take a break from the screams, but try not to get eaten.
  • Roanoke- Cannibal Colony: Remember in history class when you learned about the founding colonists? Well guess what happens when they run out of food? Looks like you’re on the menu.

Hopefully this was enough to convince you that this trip is not only worth it, but necessary for celebrating Halloween the right way. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.