Mackenzie Clark: Changing the World One Country at a Time

Name: Mackenzie Clark

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Shrewsbury, NJ

Major: International Affairs and Digital Humanities

Her Campus (HC): You spent your freshman year in Tallahassee and now you’re in the middle of a year abroad. What led you to making that decision?

Mackenzie Clark (MC): When I came to Florida State, I knew I wanted to study abroad early on during my freshman year. I chose International Affairs as my major because I knew it would open doors that allowed me to travel. So, I just spent last semester in Valencia, Spain, and I am currently in London. I got involved on campus pretty early while I was there because I knew I wanted to take advantage of the amazing opportunities that campus has to offer while I was there.

Courtesy: Mackenzie Clark

HC: What type of programs were you involved with?

MC: I involved myself in some amazing student run organizations like Arrow (Association for Refugee Relief in Our World) and the non-profits through the Global Peace Exchange. I also worked at the campus radio station V89 in their public relations department. I’m most involved with an outreach program that I helped get off the ground with a mixture of students and professors.

HC: That sounds amazing, what is the outreach program like?

MC: Well it’s called Arabic Division Outreach Program and it is a grant-based organization through the modern languages department of FSU. It’s a grassroots organization that reaches out to local elementary and middle schools in the greater Tallahassee community. We are dedicated to informing and expanding cultural awareness about the Middle East and North Africa, something that I am extremely passionate about.

HC: Lastly, why is it important to you to stay involved with a program like this?

MC: I love the work I do with the program not only because I believe it is so important to expand knowledge about an extremely crucial area of the world, but also because I am able to donate my time to a cause I feel strongly about and give back to the local community.

Her Campus at Florida State University.