This year’s Met Gala is upon us! The annual Vogue event has been hosting almost every iconic designer and A-list celebrity since 1948. This year, the Met Gala is marking the opening of the Metropolitan Museum’s costume exhibit titled, “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty.”  

Throughout the years, the Met Gala boasts over 50 unique themes. With so many distinctive themes, there’s definitely something for everyone. And where there is something for everyone, there is something for every major, so here is what Met Gala theme you are based on your major (and the best dressed according to me): 

Psychology: 1999, Rock Style 

Right off the bat, when I think of psych majors, I think of unconventional, kind of alternative cool people, and that’s exactly what the 1999 theme embodies. This Met was all about highlighting rock musicians’ influence on fashion; guests represented icons like Madonna, David Bowie, and the Beatles. 

One of my favorite looks from this Gala is the matching outfits of Liv Tyler and Stella McCartney, daughters of Steven Tyler and Paul McCartney. 

Business, professional sales, and finance: 1995, Haute Couture 

I always love seeing business students walking around Rovetta in their business casual attire. They always look so put together and sophisticated, so the 1995 theme was a clear match.  

Kate Moss wore a timeless, simple Calvin Klein dress that captured the theme perfectly. 

English Language and Literature AND English, Writing and Media: 2021, In America: A Lexicon of Fashion AND 2022, An Anthology of Fashion 

English majors are always so precise and intentional, just like these themes. These themes also require designers to somewhat articulate American fashion history through their work, and who articulates better than English majors? 

Blake Lively has to take the cake for the 2022 Met in a Statue of Liberty-inspired gown. In 2021, Billie Eilish stunned viewers in a pink gown, an ode to Marilyn Monroe. 

Criminal Justice: 2008, Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy 

This Met Gala theme is pretty self-explanatory, encouraging guests to dress around superhero imagery and iconography. Naturally, I’m assigning the Met concerning crime-stoppers to those studying crime-stopping. 

There were so many good looks at this Met, but Naomi Watts, dressed by Thierry Mugler, really killed this theme. 

Anything Pre-med: 2009, The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion 

In my opinion, pre-med students are really killing it all the time. Almost every pre-med student I know is constantly working hard to hit the mark. Similarly, I feel like this Met Gala forced designers to step up and put forward their best work. This theme is centered around iconic models and celebrities and how they influenced and molded fashion in their respective time periods. 

Chanel Iman’s timeless look at this Met was nearly perfect. 

Exploratory: 2019, Camp: Notes on Fashion 

Time for what is likely the most infamous Met Gala theme (which also so happens to be one of my absolute favorites): Camp. I feel wholeheartedly that this is the perfect theme for exploratory majors. It is so open-ended and interpretive. I think exploratory majors seem extremely open and willing to try things and experiment, so I felt like this theme was interesting.

This theme was pretty hard to nail for a lot of designers, but of course, the one celebrity who seems to constantly be camp in everything that she does, Lady Gaga, got the theme down to perfection in a four-stage look which turned into performance art. 

Chemistry: 2017, Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between 

What is chemistry if not the art of the in-between? This Met featured some of the most creative looks I’ve seen, as the theme asked designers to draw inspiration from fashion designer Rei Kawakubo, who often went against the grain and challenged traditional fashion trends. 

I had such a hard time deciding between Zendaya and Rihanna for best dressed for this theme, so I didn’t (sorry not sorry). Rihanna and Zendaya both looked so good and on theme. 

Biological Sciences: 2003, Goddess: The Classical Mode 

The 2003 theme was all about timelessness, asking designers to make designs inspired by ancient Greece. Hear me out with this one; I felt like this one was appropriate because of the timelessness of science and how it stays so relevant. Also, STEM majors are super cool (completely unbiased opinion) and this is a super cool theme so it’s a good match. 

Gisele Bündchen in Dolce & Gabbana did not disappoint the 2003 theme. 

No matter how weird or tame the theme is, there is always something to watch at the Met Gala, and this year is sure to be no exception. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!