absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Lil Bub the Internet Famous Cat Has Passed Away

Internet sensation, Lil Bub, has passed away peacefully in her sleep as of Monday morning. She was an eight-year-old cat that suffered from feline dwarfism. A bone infection turned out to be her cause of death, as her owner Mike Bridavsky later made public knowledge on Instagram, announcing the sad news: “It is impossible to put into words the profound effect that BUB has had on my life, on the lives of thousands of homeless pets, and on the lives of those of you that have cared for her as if she were your own family. She taught me everything that I know about unconditional love. She has been a constant source of warmth and love in our lives for the past 8 years. To say that our family is devastated would be an understatement.”

Courtesy: Flickr

Coming from a great flood of internet-famous cats, Lil Bub was known among the ranks with Grumpy Cat, who passed earlier this year, Maru and Colonel Meow. Her claim to fame came in 2011 after being posted to Tumblr, Reddit and news of the unique looking kitty even moved onto Facebook and Instagram as Lil Bub took hearts by storm.

Lil Bub was met with a rough start at the beginning of her life, being the runt of the litter to a feral mother cat. She required bottle feeding due to her many genetic mutations that would cause her to forever have kitten-like features, called both feline dwarfism and ‘perma-kitten’. Lil Bub’s website outlines the numerous issues she had from birth: “She has short, stubby legs and a long, ferret-like body. Her lower jaw is significantly shorter than her upper jaw, and her teeth never grew in which is why her tongue is always hanging around. Fortunately, BUB has a very healthy appetite and eats dry and wet food with no problems. Additionally, BUB is a polydactyl cat, meaning she has extra toes, and in her case, one extra toe on all of her four paws, adding up to 22 toes (and 22 claws). And then, of course, there are her big, bulging, wonder-filled green eyes. Some think she can see into the future with those things.”

She would later be diagnosed with a rare bone disease called osteoporosis and is the only documented feline to be diagnosed with the disease to date.

Courtesy: Flickr

Even after being rescued, she would face many challenges in her future. Despite all the odds put in her path, Lil Bub never let her obstacles stop her. Mike Bradvisky, her owner, recognized the spark of joy that she brought to all those around her and admired how she was one of the most resilient animals he had witnessed.

Lil Bub rose to fame with many internet memes made after her adorable appearance, starred in commercials and worked with the ASPCA to create Lil BUB’s Big FUND. The fund provides money to shelters across the nation to help with the care for animals with special needs.

Courtesy: Flickr

On Dec. 5, Mike Bridavsky confirmed with People that his intentions for the future are to make Bub into a “real-life astronaut”, by putting her ashes into orbit. He is reported to be working with Purdue University to create a satellite to launch into space. There will also be a charitable incentive alongside the satellite. It is reported that the charity is “expected to be built into the concept, with supporters eventually able to pledge donations to be given every time Bub makes a rotation around the planet. The funds would benefit animal research and homeless pets.” Bridavsky also mentioned beginning a fundraiser to start the work with Purdue. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Cali Robins, I am studying English with a focus on Literature and its connections with culture and our current media, at Florida State University with a minor in Anthropology. My goal at HerCampus FSU is to provide readers with an unbiased reading of the news and to highlight some of my own interests in hopes that my readers will get a taste of my authentic voice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.