Why I Love Valentine’s Day as a Chronically Single College Girl

With Valentine’s Day creeping up on us, I’ve heard many variations of, “Man, what a useless holiday” or “I don’t have a Valentine, so what’s the point?” And that’s a valid question: What is the point? 

As a girl who’s been chronically single her entire life, I understand the apprehension that being single during a holiday centered around love can feel like. It can feel isolating and lonely when the entire narrative for Valentine’s Day is focused on relationships, yet you aren’t in one yourself.

But why does Valentine’s Day have to focus solely on romantic love when love is more than just that?

I think my focus on romance during Valentine’s season has killed the joy that this holiday could have radiated for me in the past. Just because I don’t have a significant other to celebrate with doesn’t mean I don’t have an abundance of love to appreciate in my life. I receive so much love! My friends never fail to remind me of how much they love me.

@ja1duhh

i love each and every one of y’all and our relationships are so fulfilling to me like i legit dont NEED or crave any other love. thank you for helping me be vulnerable and for the things we teach one another. i mean ik im funny asf and entertain yall so its the least yall could do🙄 but like fr. ik this is sappy coming from me but idc i love y’all too much not to give yall credit for making me feel seen and so mf happy. thank you for being my friends (the way i was legit tearing up explaining this to my friend in this vid) #fyp #friendship

♬ Moon Tell Me If I Could – ⋆ 。° ✩ ☾ .⋆

It’s in the little things, like my roommate bringing me back cookies from Suwannee, Andrew buying me clay flowers from Market Wednesday after a rough day, or Kate consistently sending me positive TikTok quote slideshows. I want to spend the day being so incredibly girl with my friends. I want to put up heart-shaped decorations and bake heart-shaped cookies. I want to go to Target and pick up the Nerds Valentine’s Cluster Gummies. I want to make my friends little Valentine’s to show them I love them.

Is Valentine’s Day not the perfect opportunity for cute arts and crafts? How could I pass up the opportunity?

Regarding showing myself the love I deserve on Valentine’s Day, I’ll probably spend it as I spend most days: with a book in hand. If, like me, you get your fill of romance from books, might I recommend a few of my favorite reads for this time of year: Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez, The No-Show by Beth O’Leary, and Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren are all books that, in my humble opinion, fit the vibe.

If I get a little lonely, regardless of these plans, I can always indulge in a little retail therapy. Why not get myself a Jellycat from their Valentine’s Day Collection? I mean, have you seen the Amusable Tulip Pot? The Love-Me Lobster? They’re not a want, but a need (unfortunately, my wallet disagrees, but I deserve a little treat, so what’s the harm?). To me, the point of Valentine’s Day is that it’s a day of expressing love, reading romcoms, and treating myself. What more could I ask for?

If you feel discouraged this Valentine’s Day, just remember that you can still have fun with it! I’ve found that my worth isn’t based on my appeal to others, and I hope that people struggling with the same thing can move past it and find love elsewhere. Not having a Valentine won’t make me bitter because, at the end of the day, it’s just one day of the year.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Grace is an English Education major at Florida State University. In her free time, she enjoys setting up her hammock and laying out in the sun with her friends. She is an avid lover of romcoms, green tea, and dad rock.