Style

Untangling the Mystery: My Journey To Finding the Perfect Hair Products

One of the most frustrating things about being a girl is that there are technically no right or wrong beauty products; it’s all relative since people have different hair types and skin types. I’m sure there have been times when we’ve all just wanted an answer on what product to use, but those answers can be hard to find. Here’s how I figured out the best shampoo and conditioner for myself.

For the past five years, I’ve been loyal to the OGX Extra Strength Coconut Miracle Oil shampoo and conditioner. It smells amazing, and the coconut oil makes my hair soft despite my coconut allergy, which makes me sneeze every time I wash my hair. I managed to move past the sneezing fits because the shampoo seemed to work; my hair felt soft enough and looked shiny. I blamed the slight frizz on my hair type — somewhere between curly and straight, neither thin nor thick — and my infrequent haircuts for my split ends.

So, there I am, scrolling through TikTok as per usual, when I see a video showcasing the best and worst shampoos and conditioners. To my surprise, the OGX brand was one of the worst ones. This then sent me down an internet rabbit hole, trying to research which shampoos are best for which kinds of hair. Everyone had different opinions, inserting panic into my brain. Since I obviously wanted my hair to be as healthy and pretty as possible, I immediately called the hair salon for an appointment, seeking the wisdom of a professional.

As I’m getting my hair trimmed for the first time this year (and adding layers for a little extra pizzazz), the stylist dropped a bombshell: OGX products reportedly contain formaldehyde. I’m no chemist, but the horrified expression on the stylist’s face convinced me formaldehyde wasn’t a hair-friendly ingredient. A quick Google search led me to an article ominously titled “Lawsuits Claim Johnson & Johnson OGX Shampoo Causes Hair Loss.” That was all the info I needed to request a recommendation for a better shampoo.

After using Amika: normcore (their signature shampoo and conditioner), I noticed that my hair was extremely soft. The natural waves in my hair actually looked nice as opposed to its usual messiness that I always straightened with a flat iron before going out in public. While I use their signature style that’s intended for all hair types, Amika has several different shampoos and conditioners that each pertain to different hair care needs, including but not limited to volumizing/thickening, damage repairs, extra hydration, and high shine. Their website even has a hair quiz that you can take where it asks you questions about your hair and then tells you which one might work best for you!

Moral of the story: your hair stylist knows more than you, and there is a good shampoo and conditioner brand out there for your specific hair needs.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Ilana Badiner is a staff writer at the Her Campus at FSU chapter. She writes articles biweekly covering culture, lifestyle, and campus news. In addition to being a staff writer, she is a sophomore pursuing a major in media and communication studies along with a minor in general business at Florida State University. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, watching movies, and spending time with her friends.