Wellness

Where I Eat As a Vegetarian in Tallahassee

As a vegetarian college student in Tallahassee, eating out is a constant balance of good food and money. However, let me first clarify: I am vegetarian, NOT vegan. Vegan and vegetarian are two different things, which is a concept that many people I’ve encountered don’t seem to understand. To be vegan means that you’re someone who doesn’t eat any food that originates from an animal (i.e. no cheese, no meat, no milk, no honey, etc.) To be vegetarian means that you’re someone who doesn’t eat any meat or fish (i.e. no hamburgers, no sushi, yes to milk, yes to cheese, etc.).

While I respect the decision to be vegan, I personally love cheese too much, hence me being vegetarian. Here’s a list of my on-campus and off-campus go-to’s when it comes to getting some yummy vegetarian bites.  

On-Campus

Panera

First up is good old classic Panera. Does Panera have the most delicious food ever? No. However, it’s reliable. What you get is what you get, and you don’t have to worry about any surprises. Personally, I’m a lover of Panera’s Green Goddess Caprese Melt. The Green Goddess dressing is probably the most delicious dressing I’ve ever had in my life. For my meat lovers, they also have the same exact sandwich with chicken on it. However, if that’s not to your liking, Panera’s menu is completely customizable, which means basically any sandwich or salad can be adjusted to be vegetarian in some way.  

Halal Shack

Next up is Halal Shack. Halal Shack has just been added to Florida State’s campus and I have to say, it’s a welcome addition. This is a food place that provides options for individuals on campus who barely have any choices available to them. For those who don’t know, the word “Halal” describes the Islamic dietary guideline which is very similar to Kosher, just with cheese.

The Halal Shack is a mixture of American, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern flavors. First, you pick your starting plate: a rice bowl, salad bowl, fries, etc. Then, you pick your protein: halal beef, falafel (vegetarian), “IMPOSSIBLE” vegetarian, etc. Lastly, you load it up with whatever toppings you want. With a fully customizable menu, you can create whatever your heart desires and whatever your stomach is craving. Personally, I order the Naanarito, which is a burrito but with naan as the tortilla.  

Off-Campus

Cava

A place I’ve just recently discovered is Cava. Located near Target and Raising Cane’s, it’s not too far off campus, making it still accessible to those without cars. Cava is Mediterranean food with American influences. There are preset options; some vegetarian and some not. However, there are also completely customizable options. When I don’t have the energy to create my own meals, I usually go for the Market Spice, which is essentially a gigantic salad.  

Natural Kitchen

Next up is Natural Kitchen. I’ve been in love with Natural Kitchen since I was a freshman (now I’m a junior). Natural Kitchen has the same beauty as Panera where you always know what you’re going to get, no surprises. However, your options are virtually endless. With a fully customizable menu, there are so many combinations of proteins, toppings, sauces, and more. If you get overwhelmed, you can always get one of the presets, but I highly recommend creating your own because you can make it EXACTLY how you want it. Plus, if you’re a boba lover, you can always get some boba with your meal.  

Taco Bell

Now, I know what you’re thinking. Taco Bell? Yes, Taco Bell. I have to say one of the hardest things about being vegetarian is not having the plethora of fast food options available to you unless the only thing you’re going to order is French fries (as of right now, Burger King is the only fast food restaurant I know of that specifically has an option for vegetarians).

However, Taco Bell has this amazing beautiful option where you can replace the meat in ANY food item and replace it with potatoes, beans, or both (plus, it’s at no extra cost). Learning this method opened up a whole new world of possibilities to me, and now, I’m a frequent Taco Bell visitor. My go-to order is a Crunchwrap Supreme and a Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Taco Supreme, with the replacement of meat with potatoes (I’m also a hardcore fan of the Nacho Fries, but sadly those aren’t available year-round).  

The key conclusion to take away here is that customizable menus are a vegetarian/vegan eaters’ dream. I’ll give Tallahassee credit. In my first year here, my options were rough. As the years went on, more vegetarian-friendly restaurants have been added. I can only hope that this trend continues for all specialized dietary restrictions whether that is Halal, vegan, or gluten-free.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi! I am a student at Florida State University. My pronouns are she/they and I am a part of the LGBTQ+ community! My first and foremost goal is to share information that I feel will benefit everyone and make sure that everyone feels heard and seen.