As an out-of-state FSU student from New York, I spend a lot of time in airports. By choice? No. But I suppose we all make sacrifices for the things we love.  

I’ve spent my fair share of hours on the airport floor digging for the emergency purse granola bar all girls inevitably have. I’ve been through snowstorms, overnight delays, rescheduled flights, and all sorts of other travel nightmares. Since I fly into and out of smaller airports, I don’t always have the luxury of grabbing a meal at a fancy restaurant built near the terminal.   

Most people have mastered their gas station snack order. But for those of us flying who can’t find an open place to eat, forgot to pack a snack, or don’t want to take the risk of eating a full Chipotle burrito bowl before being on a plane for three hours, let me introduce you to what I’ve affectionately coined “the Airport Smorgasbord.” 

The Airport Smorgasbord is the elevated version of girl dinner on the go. It’s perfect for those who want a cleaner option that will leave you feeling full and comfortable on any flight.  

To make the ultimate “girl dinner on the go,” you need five main components: something with protein, something with crunch, something cheesy, something with fruit, and something sweet. Here are my top picks. 

Something with protein 

Being in an airport is more draining than you’d think. You’re carrying a heavy bag, racing to get to your gate, and dealing with all different types of people. In my opinion, the most important part of the smorgasbord of foods is adding some sort of protein.  

My favorite option is yogurt. It’s quick, convenient to throw in a bag, and doesn’t smell like other types of protein (I’m looking at you, guy with the tuna sandwich in aisle 12). For any vegan friends, protein can easily be found in hummus. Bonus points if you get ones with pretzels to check off the crunch category.  

Other easy options include beef jerky, trail mix, or a protein bar. If you’re lucky, you may be able to find a premade protein box in a place like Starbucks. 

Something with Crunch

No smorgasbord is complete without a little variety in texture. The common grabs are chips, pretzels, or popcorn, but there’s a hidden secret that most wouldn’t think to try. 

Most airports now have OH SNAP! Pickle bites. They’re the perfect addition to any girl dinner on the ground, and now, they’re easy to take in the air, too. The best part is that you can reseal them to prolong the joy. 

Something cheesy 

My apologies in advance to any of my lactose-intolerant girls on here. Feel free to skip this part.  

I always love to add some sort of cheese to amp up the luxury that is eating dinner with your backpack as a pillow. It’s one of the easiest to find, and it could be cheese sticks, brie bites, or cheddar squares.  

Ever since being introduced to the beauty that is frisco, or crispy cheese, my choice has always been either Moon Cheese or Whisps. They add the perfect amount of salt and flavor and are personally my favorite part of the whole thing.  

Something with fruit 

Fruit is a great way to add something tart with a little bit of extra sugar and carbs for a pick-me-up. It even helps stimulate my appetite for any extra stressful travel days.  

If you want to spice it up, I love the Brookside chocolates. The centers are dried fruits, and the chocolate shell pairs well with the other elements. A good, solid apple or banana will also do the trick and don’t require any prep. 

Something sweet 

No meal is complete without a sweet treat, so why should the airport smorgasbord have to suffer without one? Grab your favorite chocolate, pick up a fun drink, or secure a pack of gummy peach rings to share with your flight neighbor.  

The next time you find yourself sad because you’re flying back on a Sunday and forgot that Chick-fil-A was closed, there’s no need to worry. The airport smorgasbord is easy to assemble even in the tiniest of airports, and it makes the inevitable travel woes a little less painful.   

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Jules Johannemann is a staff writer for Her Campus at the Florida State chapter, where she covers lifestyle, culture, and campus life. Her favorite topics to write about are mental health and time management, travel and road trips, food, and campus life as an out-of-state student. Beyond Her Campus, Jules was the editor-in-chief of her high school's literary magazine, which included student artwork, poetry, and prose. She also owns her own small business selling custom sneakers and apparel. Jules is currently a freshman at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Commercial Entrepreneurship. In her free time, Jules enjoys exploring Tallahassee and taking road trips, petting people's dogs, doing anything related to art, and listening to copious amounts of country and 2010s club music. You can probably find her at Lucky Goat or at her sorority house watching Jeopardy.