Most of my vacations in the past few years have been road trips, and the first time I went on a long drive I was very unprepared. I seemed to have forgotten even the obvious items before, so here are the essentials that I double (and sometimes even triple) check that I have before starting drives.

Insulated Water Bottle

First and foremost, an insulated water bottle is a must for any road trip. This may seem obvious, but it’s an essential that many people tend to forget. My biggest piece of advice is to get one that has a closed top that won’t spill and doesn’t need to go in a cup holder. While I, like many others, love my Stanley Cup, it’s not the ideal cup for a road trip as it may spill if it’s not upright. The last thing any of us want on a road trip is to be dealing with a spill and wet clothes. I personally love my Owala or Hydropeak water bottle for any car ride.

Blanket and Pillow

While yes, this may also seem obvious, I’m very particular about which pillow and blanket I bring with me for a road trip. My family does a lot of road trips, so I have a designated road trip blanket. It’s big enough that it’s comfy for the drive but not too big that it becomes bulky and takes up too much space. My sister likes to wear a blanket sweatshirt that she can easily throw on and off throughout the drive. We also just tend to grab any pillow from our beds before we get in the car, but a drive without these two items is bound to be an uncomfortable one.

A good (and long) playlist

Road trips can be super long, so it may be hard to make a playlist that covers the whole duration of the drive. My piece of advice is to have every person coming in the car make a playlist that’s at least as long as half the amount of time of the drive. This allows for the whole drive to be covered with music, allows everyone to have their favorite songs play, and gives leeway if someone wants to skip a song without running out of music. I would also make sure to program in some of your favorite radio stations just in case you want a break from playlist music.

Antibacterial Wipes or Hand Sanitizer

Throughout every road trip, you’re going to stop to fill up your vehicle with gas, make snack or bathroom stops, and maybe even do some quick shopping. With that being said, there’s a chance that you’re going to leave your car a lot. The last thing anyone needs on a road trip is to get sick because of some germs on a gas pump or door handle. Wipes or hand sanitizers are going to be essential in making sure you’re avoiding as many germs as possible. Wipes can also help clean up any potential spills or messes that are made during a drive.

Mini Toiletries

Whether it’s a mini deodorant, some face wipes, or dry shampoo, mini toiletries are a great addition to any road trip. Your car rides could last hours upon hours, and feeling gross or not put together can make or break a road trip experience. I suggest packing a small bag of any potential toiletries you may need before you make it to your destination. Think of anything you would need on a regular day if you needed to freshen up. I like to bring an oil roller or face toner with me to ensure that my face remains clean and acne-free.

Car Trash Can or Bag

Between snacks, hand wipes and so much more, the trash you may acquire during your road trip needs a place to go besides the floor of your car or inside the car door. You’re going to be spending hours in the car, and just like you don’t want trash all over your room at home, you don’t want trash floating through your car. A designated trash bag or even a car trash can is a great investment for a drive. They help keep your car nice and neat to ensure that after your drive is over, you don’t have to spend hours cleaning out your car.

Sunglasses

This one I cannot stress enough. Even if you aren’t the driver, sunglasses are a must for any car ride. The sun, especially in Florida, shines nice and bright during parts of your drive.  If you’re the driver, it can be almost blinding in some cases. Sunglasses will help make for a much more comfortable ride. If you’re a passenger trying to take a power nap, sunglasses can help block out the sun and make it much easier to fall asleep without the brightness shining through.

While these are just some of my essentials, there are so many more things that I always make sure I have on my drives, especially once you bring them often enough. Road trips are so much fun, but they can also be super long, so make sure that you have everything you may need to remain comfortable on the drive.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Lauren is a Senior at Florida State University double majoring in Business Management and Marketing with a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading, traveling and spending time with her friends and family.