My Favorite Florida Weekend Trips as an FSU Student

In my time at Florida State University (FSU), I’ve found that making travel a priority is crucial for my well-being. If I don’t get out of “Tallanasty” every once in a while, I seriously think I might implode. In my weekends of travel at FSU, there are some towns and cities that have stood out more than others. Here are some places relatively close to FSU that make great travel destinations. When I’ve visited these places in the past, I’ve left feeling like a new woman. I was ready to take on the traffic, the natives, and the boundless schoolwork waiting for me in Tally.

St. Augustine

By far, my favorite trip I’ve taken while I’ve been at FSU was to St. Augustine. It turns out St. Augustine is more than just an underrated parking garage on campus! The city is an underrated vacation destination not even three hours away from campus.

There are boundless things to do in St. Augustine. We started our trip in the beautiful historic district downtown. There were more shops and restaurants than we could’ve ever visited in one trip. Everything was as old as it gets if you’re into historical spots. Directly across the street is Castillo de San Marcos, the oldest masonry fort in the continental United States. We had a mini photoshoot here; it was absolutely gorgeous and worth the visit. We stayed in an Airbnb right on the beach. It was perfect. We were able to make use of the many amenities at the Airbnb. If you want a trip full of fun shopping, photo ops, and gorgeous beaches I highly recommend St. Augustine.

Camping at Florida Caverns State Park

Camping is a great cheap vacation option, and there are several great camping spots close to campus. The only destination I’ve been fortunate enough to hit so far was Florida Caverns State Park, and it did not disappoint. Roughing it in a tent was much cheaper than an Airbnb or hotel, and it was great to reconnect with nature for a few days. The park is full of activities that will keep you busy for the whole weekend. We were able to go on a tour of the caverns, go on some beautiful hiking trails, and jump in what they called “the big blue hole.” It was a great experience!

There are many other camping destinations not too far from campus, such as St. George Island and Providence Canyon. I haven’t had a chance to visit these places, but if you’re looking for options, I’ve heard these are also amazing.

Miami

This one is a little farther away, but definitely worth the drive. Over spring break last year, I fulfilled my little Midwestern dreams by staying in Miami for a couple of days. In my short time in the city, I was able to explore Wynwood, Coral Gables, and Little Havana. I absolutely loved it. If, like me, you’re not a South Florida native, you’ll love your time in Miami. There’s endless shopping and restaurants that are perfect for a great weekend trip.

Tampa

Tampa is a perfect little weekend getaway with plenty to do. There are several shopping centers and tourist destinations that make it perfect. I had a chance to visit the Florida Aquarium for the first time and I loved it. Not too far from the city is St. Petersburg and Clearwater Beach. If you’re looking for a good mix of city and beach vibes, Tampa is a great destination to consider.

If you’re looking to get away from Tallahassee for a weekend, consider visiting these destinations. They’re perfect for the FSU student who misses the hustle and bustle of the city or relaxing at the beach. When school starts to seem like too much, remember that there are plenty of fun places to go not too far away.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

I'm from Minnesota, and am a Sophomore Editing Writing and Media major at FSU.