influencer merch
influencer merch
Original Photo by Celina Aquino
Style

Streetwear Style Staples You Should Add To Your Closet This Spring

The grand resurgence of streetwear and ’90s fashion has captivated our hearts, closets, and wallets. You’re guaranteed to see streetwear elements in every OOTD, whether it’s a baggy silhouette or a vintage touch. With the cold weather slowly dwindling before we enter spring, now is a perfect time to start experimenting with streetwear if you haven’t been converted just yet.  

Before we get started, let me offer a brief public service announcement: I use the term “streetwear” loosely because streetwear has evolved into many branches, one that can categorize a wide range of styles. There’s also been conversation surrounding the term “streetwear” as potentially harmful and dismissive. Some fashion designers have expressed dislike for the use of the word to describe fashion, stating that the term is only used when people of color are wearing baggy silhouettes but omitted when a luxury brand does the same thing and calls it something different.

For the sake of this article, I’m using the term streetwear as a loose label for the trending ’90s-inspired styles people are wearing right now and have adopted into their daily outfit rotation. I’ll be highlighting the “staples,” or what I suggest you should start with if they’re trying to achieve the “streetwear look.” Generally, streetwear has elements of loose-fitting garments, oversized t-shirts, baggy denim, and cool sneakers. It’s inspired by hip-hop and skating culture from the ’90s, and it’s my favorite genre of clothing to wear for its comfort and accessibility.

Another plus to this fashion style is that a lot of the clothes listed below are thriftable, so you don’t have to pay big bucks to achieve the look. You can dress it up or down and make it sporty, preppy, practical, or flashy. So without further ado, here are some of my recommendations for all you curious soon-converts!

Baggy Jeans

If you wear anything from this lineup, wear a pair of baggy jeans. A baggy pair of jeans immediately makes your outfit feel and look more stylish. In fact, the baggier the better. Not only is this a very comfortable option for those of us who hate the feel of tight clothes (looking at you, skinny jeans), but it also gives your outfit dimensions by adding shape to it.

P.S. You can substitute baggy jeans for any kind of baggy pants!

An oversized t-shirt, sweater, or hoodie

The combination of baggy jeans and oversized t-shirts lock in the textbook streetwear aesthetic. You can have fun with this. Put on a sports jersey two sizes too big, a brand-name sweatshirt from one of your favorite brands, or a loose graphic tee. Not only will you be comfortable, but you’ll be stylish too.

A pair of sneakers or stompers

Your shoe choice can be anything from a nice pair of classic sneakers, Timberlands, high-tops, low-tops, boots, or slides. Pro tip: If you’re wearing those loose pants we discussed in step one, you’ll want to pick a shoe with a wedge to give you that extra height. That one or two inches of support allows you to wear long pants without them getting caught on the heels of your shoes.

Accessorize!

This final element will really tie the outfit together. Add some jewelry: gold, silver, or a mix of both! Wear a cute bag or purse. You could even add a matching hat, bandana, or beanie. If it’s cold outside, wear some extra layers! There are a lot of options here for how you may want to elevate your outfit. Accessorizing is what will take it from good to great!

Finding inspiration

I highly suggest finding people whose style you want to mimic. If you know what you like, you know what to buy and how you want to wear it. Not only that but seeing how other people put things together can give you new ideas for how you want to switch things up. Social media is the easiest way to do this. Some of my favorite fashion pages I’ve found on Instagram are @justmelines, @brianaking, @iconikki, @jaidabunni,  @watchingnewyork, @irislovesunicorns, and @sofiamcoelho.

I hope these pointers helped! Warning: Once you start wearing baggy clothes, you can’t stop.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Cherith King (she/her) is a staff writer for Her Campus FSU and a junior at FSU pursuing a dual degree in Creative Writing and Interdisciplinary Social Sciences. Beyond Her Campus, Cherith is currently working as an intern at the Southeast Review, and the assistant fiction editor for The Kudzu Review. She is also a Closing Prosecutor for FSU’s undergraduate Mock Trial Team. Cherith’s holy trinity are books, movies, and music. If you bring any of those subjects up, she promises to talk about them endlessly.