How to Get Back Into Reading Over Winter Break

Did you used to read a lot, but life got in the way? Do you yearn for the sense of escapism that comes from a well-written book? Or maybe you simply consider reading to be a chore rather than a fun activity? With the holiday season arriving and winter break soon beginning, there has never been a better time to get cozy with a good read. If reading is a hobby that you want to re-spark or it’s your first time getting into it, now is the time.

Winter break is a great time to catch up on my “want to read” list since it’s the first time in a while that I don’t have to worry about school. With the new year coming up, many people (myself included) manifest that they will read more. That goal usually doesn’t stick for very long. Planning a To Be Read list and finding new exciting books is the easy part, but how do you commit to that list?

First of all, it’s important to not overwhelm yourself and take this new hobby too seriously. Realistically, you’re not going to finish the 20 novels you have in mind over the month-long break, and that’s okay! Taking it slow and having patience with yourself is essential if you want to make reading a normal part of your daily life.

A great way to start getting back into the habit of reading is by picking up a short book. While I have nothing against War and Peace or The Lord of the Rings, they might not be very encouraging to read while in the midst of a slump. Ask yourself what genres you enjoy and what your goal is when reading.

Reading also doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby! There are many alternative options to going into a bookstore with brand-new books. For example, there are countless websites that sell used books, such as Thrift Books and even eBay. Tallahassee has many public libraries that include an online library where you can browse books and borrow them all from the comfort of your home; all you need is a library card.

There are multiple used bookstores in town such as Fat Cat Books, My Favorite Books, and more. These spots are sure to be cheaper than typical bookstores and provide a great experience along with super cute reading spots. Another option that can help keep you accountable and help discover new titles is subscribing to a book subscription service. These businesses send you books every month based on your taste. Then, you return them and receive new ones.

Another way to stay motivated is by making a plan and tracking your goals. Personally, I like to use the app Goodreads to make lists of what I want to read, track my progress, and reflect on it at the end of the year. It also allows you to discover new reads based on what’s popular and reflects your personal preferences.

While reading is a commitment, it gets easier with time. Instead of picking up your phone to scroll on TikTok, you’ll be picking up a book soon. There are so many options out there for everyone; all you need to do is start. You can do this by getting a coffee or some tea, grabbing a blanket, and getting in your favorite reading environment. You might as well add some books to your Christmas list now!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Krista Escalona is a staff writer at Her Campus at the FSU chapter. She writes about a diverse array of topics including campus events, personal stories, interviews, and more. In addition to writing, Krista is involved in the social team at Her Campus, where she works on graphics for the social media accounts. Aside from Her Campus, Krista works on the videography team at Strike Magazine Tallahassee where she works with a team to shoot and edit campaigns for the student ran magazine, including editorial shoots and fashion. She has been recognized nationally for her media production skills. Krista is a sophomore at Florida State University and is majoring in International Affairs, on the pre-law track. In her free time, Krista enjoys practicing yoga, reading classics, and listening to all kinds of music. She can talk about movies for hours and will never deny trying new kinds of food or getting ice cream.