outside detail shot of journals and camera on grass in sun
Photo by Madeline Schmidt

How I’m Resetting My Life During Spring Break

These first few months since we rang in the new year have made me feel like I’ve been constantly moving. Whether it’s an assignment deadline, extracurricular meeting, or social event, there hasn’t been a day since 2024 started that I’ve felt relaxed. Maybe I overcommitted myself to my involvements, but it’s been a pleasure to be a part of so much on my school’s campus. I’m constantly excited to attend events, work, and classes because I can further my growth and knowledge as a young adult. Because of how busy the spring semester always feels, I can’t wait to get a break finally.

For some reason, the weeks leading up to spring break seem to go at a snail’s pace. The anticipation of fulfilling plans with friends, traveling somewhere cool, or visiting family is all anyone can ever talk about. Personally, I’m excited to simply rest, take a step back for a minute, and renew habits that might’ve been lost during the chaos of college.

If you don’t currently have plans for spring break, feel free to try out some of the following ideas that I do when I’m feeling overwhelmed, and some habits I’m looking forward to fitting back into my daily routine by the end of our break.

WHAT I DO TO DESTRESS

Once break begins, I plan to focus on my health and happiness by doing things I love.

looking good and eating good

I want to go out, dress cute, and grab my comfort food. Something about getting ready always puts me in such a good mood. Listening to music, putting on an outfit I love, and doing my hair or makeup for myself, not for other people, easily brings me joy. Whether it’s a home-cooked meal, fancy restaurant, or local food I can’t live without, I’m going to show up and show out. Looking good and eating my favorite meal will bring gratitude to my life because of the broad variety of food I get the chance to enjoy. Additionally, feeling confident when out is essential to having a clear mind.

shopping

Let’s talk about retail therapy. I’m sure you know of the trendy concept of “girl math.” Paying in cash? Free. Returning something and buying something else? You didn’t spend anything.

Shopping is an excellent opportunity to feel serotonin by purchasing something I might’ve wanted for a while. The past few weeks have been stressful, as I’ve taken multiple midterms and balanced my involvements. Buying a sweet treat, such as a coffee or açai bowl, or spend the day thrifting this spring break would be so fun. Even the smallest of things can make my day.

spending time with loved ones

I could never forget about spending time with those I love. Because of how busy I’ve been, I know how important it is to cherish the moments with your friends and family. Getting the opportunity to bring your friends, siblings, partner, or anyone along on a little daily adventure is so rewarding. Being in the company of others is a good way to destress and makes me realize how much I cherish the people who bring joy to my life, regardless of how often I see them.

HABITS I’M TRYING TO IMPLEMENT

journaling

Recently, I’ve fallen out of journaling. Back in May 2023, I began to write every day. Some days, I’d write multiple pages; others, just a short paragraph. Even if I didn’t feel it, I’d briefly write a sentence or two. Writing has always come so naturally to me, and I quickly became passionate about the opportunity to journal.

This habit continued until the spring semester started. I don’t know what shifted. Well, maybe it’s the over-involvement, but I soon stopped picking up my journal. I’ve been pushing myself this break to break this writer’s block, and I highly encourage you to try out writing during spring break.

going to bed earlier

I’ll be fixing my sleep schedule. While this hasn’t been a prominent issue affecting my life, I’d love to start waking up earlier again to work out and have breakfast. I haven’t been on top of things this semester and tend to sleep in. Adjusting this by going to bed a little earlier because of the lack of work that I’ll have over spring break will allow me the opportunity to start my day earlier. Spending my mornings with myself as I journal, work out, and make breakfast was something I did last year that I want to bring back.

scrapbooking

While I’ve already begun this, I can’t wait to continue to be creative and follow my passions. Recently, I have been obsessed with scrapbooking and documenting my life on paper. Combining my love for photography with something artsy and tangible has been such a soothing hobby that will definitely be a hyperfocus this spring break. Taking photos of small moments on my digital camera and then printing out and writing about each month this year has been a stress-relieving and genuinely exciting hobby I look forward to.

My spring break will be about personal growth, focusing on resetting my mind and spending time with relationships that fuel my happiness and success. Returning to school after developing healthy habits and protecting my peace during the break will allow the last month and a half to fly by. I encourage you to take the time to reassess, relax, and renew your life with me. I can’t wait to see all the good that will come from it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey yall! I am a second-year undergraduate student and member of the Her Campus at Florida State chapter. I am an out-of-state student majoring in environmental science, and have always had a passion for writing. Within HerCampus, I am part of the social media team for Instagram, an academic intern, and staff writer. My work often varies from campus advice and environmental current events to lifestyle articles based around healthy habits and some of my other passions such as thrifting, being outdoors, and attending concerts. Beyond Her Campus, I am involved in my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, as a Social Media Chair and Line Dance member. I additionally fundraise for Dance Marathon at FSU and am a member of both the Environmental Service Program and Maji Project.