Wellness

How a Sunday Reset Changed My College Routine

When I first got to college, I was having a hard time creating an everyday routine. Being on your own for the first time adds a lot of responsibilities, and it’s easy to get lost and overwhelmed with the seemingly never-ending to-do lists. Something I learned during my first year is that giving myself one day dedicated to the time-consuming pesky chores has allowed me to be much more productive and relaxed throughout the week.  

For me, Sundays are my day for getting all the things done. Every Sunday, I try to do all my laundry, wash my sheets, go grocery shopping, and get any homework done that’s due at the beginning of the week. After a long week and a busy weekend, it can be hard to have the motivation to do anything at all. Creating a short list of things you’ll try to do each week can make it much easier to get them done. It also makes the start of the week far less daunting. 

I love to keep a clean space, and I find that when my room is a mess, my life is usually a mess. The weekends can bring a lot of chaos. I feel like when I get to Sunday, my room is covered in clothes and makeup. This makes it even more satisfying to clean. I not only pick up the things on the floor, but I also do all my laundry and wash my sheets. 

There’s nothing better than having a clean, fresh bed for the week. I seriously think having clean sheets helps me sleep so much better. Along with that, there’s nothing worse than having an outfit planned for the week and realizing the clothes you want to wear are still dirty. I find that if I wash all my clothes weekly, I have all my staple pieces ready for the week.  

Grocery shopping on Sunday is one of my favorite parts of the week. My roommates and I go to Trader Joe’s every Sunday, and it always makes me feel so productive and sets me up for a good week. If I go grocery shopping weekly, I feel like I end up spending way less money on eating out.  

I know that every class is different but for me, Sunday is the perfect day to get a lot of my easier homework for the week done ahead of time. Rather than rotting in my bed and watching movies, I do the simpler, less daunting homework. Sometimes I go to a coffee shop or the library, but a lot of the time I just sit at my desk in my room. Either way, I find that doing all the little, easily forgotten assignments can help me during the week and give me more time to spend on my bigger assignments.  

Dedicating an entire day of my week to getting my chores done and setting myself up for success has changed my entire college experience. It has allowed me to feel so much more productive, setting me up for a successful week of classes. Sunday has become my favorite day of the week and I encourage you all to embrace the power of a weekly reset.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Sophie Sturiale is a staff writer at the Her Campus at Florida State chapter. She writes a variety of articles but enjoys focusing on local culture, fashion, and lifestyle content. Sophie is a second-year student at Florida State university, majoring in media communication studies with a minor in English. She was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland and enjoys spending her free time traveling, shopping, cooking, and being with her friends.