Let Drew Walkowicz Ignite Your Flame

Name: Drew Walkowicz

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics    

Hometown: Center Valley, Pennsylvania

Relationship Status: Single

Spirit Animal: Blue Whale or Ron Swanson 

With campus elections coming up you may feel overwhelmed at the amount of names on the ballot. SGA elections are an important tool to help the student body share their voice and elect those who best embody the way they want things to be done. Become familiar with this Campus Cutie and see why he’s the one for you!

Her Campus (HC): What is one of your favorite memories so far from Florida State?

Drew Walkowicz (DW): Starting off tough, I see. Out of all the experiences I’ve had at FSU (in only two years), I think my favorite would have to be the Notre Dame game, specifically the second fourth down when we stopped them to remain undefeated. I’ll never forget the moment of pure elation and relief when the game was over.

HC: Why and how did you get involved with the Ignite party?

DW: I had the honor of getting to work with our past Student Body President, Rosie Contreras, when we were partnered together for the PeaceJam Conference last spring. I was in such awe of her poise and natural leadership ability that I became inspired to contribute my passion for service to the student body as well.  This year I started to meet Ignite members all over campus, in fact our candidates represent over 100 student organizations. I decided it was the perfect time to get involved.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish if you get elected into senate?

DW: I want to focus on three key areas. They are: rewarding community development, promoting diversity in leadership positions, and advocating for the student body. Community service is invaluable to our society, and I feel that Florida State can be doing more to reward organizations and individuals that are enacting positive change in the community. Another important mission for our university should be to ensure that our student body is accurately represented by those in SGA, and that their thoughts and concerns are valued. The Ignite Party has proven it values student opinion, and will continue to do so after this election.

HC: Have you had a favorite teacher or class that you would recommend to other students?

DW: No brainer, Mark Zeigler for Fundamentals of Speech. He is so engaging and so influential, I wish I could have him teach every class I take. Plus, the class material is pretty universal; we could all stand to learn more about listening and communication in general. He’ll also tell you that if you ever see him in public, you should flip him the bird so he’ll recognize you as a student of his. Unfortunately, I haven’t had the chance to yet.

HC: If you could give incoming freshmen, or any student any piece of advice, what would it be?

DW: Get involved! Go out and meet people. Even though I consider myself a social person, I still have my shy moments. If you see an organization that interests you, try to drag a friend along, but if you can’t find someone, go anyway! There are so many ways to connect yourself to others, just find a common interest. Also, take as many Suwannee cookies as you can carry, even though the workers will give you a death-glare.

I just want to travel the world #GoNoles
Her Campus at Florida State University.