Wellness

Girl To Girl: My Experience Trying Eco-Friendly Period Products

Picture this: It’s that time of the month, and you suddenly realize you’re down to your last tampon. The familiar dread kicks in — a trip to the store is inevitable. Living in Florida, a state without the tampon tax, might be a relief, but the constant expense can start to feel like a subscription to a not-so-fun club. I was determined to break free from the monthly tampon-run routine, so I went online and started looking for alternatives.

Cue the online shopping spree! With a few clicks, I waved goodbye to the tampon aisle and welcomed a package of eco-friendly alternatives to my doorstep. Not only did this save me from the hassle of last-minute store runs, but it also promised to be a game-changer for my wallet, my health, and the environment.

I realized these products weren’t just about going green; they were about embracing a healthier lifestyle. Traditional tampons often contain chemicals designed to enhance fragrance and absorbency. By making the switch to sustainable options, I was consciously choosing to bid farewell to unnecessary exposure to potentially harmful substances. The lower risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) associated with products like menstrual cups was an additional reassurance, providing a safer and more reliable menstrual hygiene option.

Environmentally speaking, I’m certainly throwing away a heck of a lot less. Most reusable products can be used for years before needing to be replaced. It’s not just about the immediate reduction in monthly waste but the long-term commitment to sustainability that these products offer.

According to Boston Medical Center, “During the average 40-year span that a person typically spends menstruating, an individual uses more than 9,000 tampons: one every six hours, or 20 for every average five-day cycle. And those with heavier flows typically have to change their tampons more frequently to avoid leaking. Then there’s the financial impact. Over the course of their menstruating years, an individual can expect to spend close to $2,000 on tampons, $4,500 on pads, and more than $2,000 for every pair of underwear ruined — and prices are rising.” 

Diva Cup: rating the revolutionary reusability

Enter the Diva Cup, the menstrual cup that promised to revolutionize my period experience. The first attempt at insertion was certainly intimidating, but with some trial and error, I got the hang of it (AKA, I watched two YouTube videos and three TikToks before finally figuring out how to do it.) The learning curve was worth it. The Diva Cup formed a reliable seal, eliminating the fear of leaks and offering a whopping 12 hours of protection in comparison to the four to six hours I was getting from tampons and pads. 

The Diva Cup might just become my go-to period companion, and it’s also a budget-friendly one. The upfront cost might make you raise an eyebrow, but the long-term savings are nothing short of impressive. It’s a sustainable investment that keeps on giving, both to your wallet and the planet.

Now, let’s talk about the fears of my sustainable period journey. My first few days with the Diva Cup involved a lot of Googling: “Can I sleep with a menstrual cup?” (Yes.) and “How do I clean this?” (Longer answer.) I realized that maintaining hygiene was just as important as embracing the eco-friendly benefits. Enter the Diva Cup sanitizer, a game-changer that I stumbled upon during my online shopping spree on Amazon. I learned that the usual recommendation was to boil the cups. Boiling will work to get most of the bacteria off of a menstrual cup, but I was a little anxious about that idea, so I was very relieved when this cleaner worked way better than I could have ever anticipated. 

Period underwear: comfortable and confidence-boosting

Next up in my sustainable adventure was period underwear, the undergarments that offered comfort, confidence, and a break from disposable pads. The sheer comfort of wearing purpose-designed underwear was a revelation. No more scratchy discomfort or awkward shifting; just pure, unadulterated comfort. 

Versatility became the name of the game with period underwear. Whether I was conquering the workday, hitting the gym, or lounging at home, these magic undies adapted seamlessly to my lifestyle. The different styles and absorbency levels allowed me to tailor my choice based on the day’s activities. Plus, the environmental brownie points for reducing waste were a major win.

At first, I was worried about leakage, as it felt similar to free bleeding. But even on the first and heaviest day of my cycle, the underwear was absorbent. The main detraction is that you are encouraged to rinse or wash them as soon as possible to avoid staining. I try my best to keep on top of laundry, but that level of commitment isn’t always feasible.  

eco-friendly, body-positive empowerment

In this journey of sustainable exploration, I discovered that eco-friendly period products aren’t just about saving the environment; they’re about empowering women to make choices that align with their bodies and values. PERIOD., a global initiative to encourage period education, believes that “planet-positive products” could even be the key to ending period poverty. The switch to sustainable options not only saved me money but also opened my eyes to the importance of treating my body with the utmost care. 

So, here’s to bidding farewell to the tampon runs, embracing comfort, and making choices that benefit not only us but the planet too. Sustainable period products are a fun, empowering addition to the menstrual conversation, reminding me that every month can be a little greener, a lot healthier, and a whole lot more enjoyable. Cheers to cleanliness, convenience, and a little bit of magic thanks to eco-friendly period products.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Ariana White is a Tallahassee native and first-generation college student majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Museum Studies and Public Administration at The Florida State University. She is passionate about food justice, women’s rights, arts & culture, and local politics. Ariana has been a staff writer for Her Campus at FSU since January 2021. She has written 20+ articles during her time as a staff writer and leads the column on food sustainability.