Kyra Brusch: Social Justice Activist

As only a sophomore Kyra Brusch dedicates her time to balancing school and social justice in order to make the world a better place. She lights up a room with her presence and never fails to leave a positive mark in her path.

Name: Kyra Brusch

Year: Sophomore

Major: Sociology

Hometown: Miami, FL

Courtesy: Madison Berko

Her Campus (HC): When you started at FSU you were a member of the Social Justice Living Learning Community (SoJust). For someone who doesn’t know anything about it can you explain what being a part of this community really means and how it works?

Kyra Brusch (KB): Well, there are several Living Learning Communities (LLC) on campus such as the nursing or global affairs LLC. Living and Learning communities are pretty much what it states in the name: you live in the same dorm as other freshmen who chose to live in that community and learn with them. So with social justice, you will live and learn with other freshmen who are interested in social justice. Social justice entails trying to make society just and equal, so with that message in mind a lot of minorities take part in the community.

HC: Can you tell me more about what made you want to take part in that?

KB: Being a black woman who was predominately raised in white or non-black areas, I’ve always felt my identity – if not being ridiculed -was being brushed over. It was after Trayvon Martin’s murder that I realized I could no longer be silent because it’s a detriment to my psyche. I started being really vocal in 11th grade. When I found out about the SoJust LLC while researching university housing, it was a no brainer! I applied so fast and was so excited to partake in it. I actually got waitlisted at first, which is funny because I am now a mentor for the community. It just goes to show you if it’s meant to be it will be.

HC: What were your favorite parts about being involved with SoJust?

KB: My favorite part about being in SoJust is the fact that there are so many minorities in the classes. It is rare to hear oppressed peoples’ points of view and this SoJust class exposed me to that. It was also great to share my point of view: incredibly therapeutic.

HC: I know SoJust represents a lot of different communities on campus; what topics did you feel most connected to and why?

KB: For me it’s definitely Black Lives Matter and black media representation. I do not want to have kids if they do not feel their life is protected and/or they are not represented in media.

Courtesy: Madison Berko

HC: Other than your involvement with social justice, what other ways are you involved on campus?

KB: I am a part of the Advance Party as well as a Union board member.

HC: Do you have any words of wisdom on how to balance school and being involved on campus?

KB: Apply for everything that interests you, you will be surprised with what you get. A tight schedule will help you concentrate and get work done.

HC: Overall, what were some of the most important things you learned through the Social Justice Living Learning Community?

KB: The Social Justice Living Learning Community taught me the most important lesson of all: that the ability to perceive or think differently is more important than the knowledge gained. No matter what group you are in, whether it is a minority or majority, dominant or subordinate, it’s important to understand others’ perspectives. In the end everyone has their point of view and no one is more important – it’s simply necessary to listen to others.

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.