Kristen reppng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Kristen reppng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Kristin Ringuette
Career

Kristin Ringuette: Student Photographer

From finding the right equipment to editing a photo just right, it can be difficult to join the world of photography. To try to make the photography process a little less scary, I sat down with student photographer Kristin Ringuette to talk about her experiences in the world of photography and how she recommends getting started. 

HerCampus (HC): Tell us about yourself! Where are you from? What are you majoring in?

Kristin Ringuette (KR): I am from Clearwater, Florida and I am majoring in art with a focus area in design. I do photography more as a hobby, but I also do horseback riding, and I like to read!

HC: What made you want to get into photography?

KR: Well, I got my first camera when I was 13, and Tumblr was a huge thing back then. (Remember those old, edgy Tumblr-style pictures where you set the self-timer and do the pose that doesn’t show your face?) Then I took a break in high school, and I recently got back into it after making a zine about feminism! I thought it would be a good idea to do portraits, and after I made it, I realized that I still liked it. So, over the summer I started taking it more seriously.

HC: Do you do photography for any organization?

KR: For a while, it was just for me! This past semester, though, I got to do a shoot for Swatch and Clutch Magazine which was really cool! I also did photography for Cat Family Records.

HC: Describe the photography process. From start to end, whether that be an Instagram post or a page in a magazine, what do you do?

KR: So, usually I get inspired by different things. It could be a project I’m doing for school or something I see on Instagram. I [also] go on Pinterest a lot and then I just accumulate images that I want the vibe to be.

As that’s all happening, I have a model in mind and I’m thinking of lighting ideas. I don’t really location scout, I just try [to] use what’s around me. From there, I either contact the models, which are usually my friends, or people dm and email me asking for a shoot. If they do ask, then I try [to] look at their Instagram and see what their vibe is. So, if they’re edgy we’ll go to a town, or if they’re more simplistic we’ll try something different with lighting just so it fits the person and their aesthetic.

After that’s all planned out, I’ll go by props and we’ll get to the day of the shoot. I usually play music just so it’s not awkward. I come into the shoot with a plan and I’ll edit all the photos. I try to take a lot because I would rather have more ugly photos if it means I get that one that’s just right. I’ll take 200 to 500 photos and the ones that immediately catch my attention are the ones that I edit. Or, if it’s a client, I’ll send them the whole album and they can pick which pictures they want me to edit. And then I edit them. I’m going to get so much hate for this, [but] I edit them on VSCO. I think it’s like HB2 and I’ll adjust things, or if it’s more serious, I’ll go on Photoshop and actually edit the whole picture. It’s just a lot quicker on VSCO and a lot of the pictures are for Instagram anyway, so it’s not like they’re losing quality.

Once they are edited, I usually post all the sets immediately because I get super excited about them!

HC: Out of that process, which step do you think is the hardest?

KR: Honestly, I love the whole process. It’s not really that part that’s hard. It’s usually, like any business, working with other people. Especially working with friends, it’s like I can’t hang out with them without them asking for me to take a picture. But I’ve also had people not show up on time or reschedule last minute, which is just rude. I do some of these shoots for free, and it’s on my time, so in general, it’s just rude to do that without prior notice.

HC: Do you have any advice for anyone who wants to get into photography?

KR: I would say go look at other photographs and get inspired by them. Don’t copy [them], but figure out what makes them good and try to do it. Also, you don’t need a cool DSLR camera to start; just get your phone and snap some pictures. Buy some cheap fabric from JOANN and make your outfits. Never forget to thank your models or anyone who helps you with your shoots. People will remember how you treat them and it’s a kind thing to do.

And don’t get an Instagram for photography until you develop an actual passion for it! You can get business on social media, and Instagram is a great tool for that, but before then, do it because you love it, not for clout.

To learn more about Kristin, check out her photography website here! And follow her on Instagram @ks.ringuettephotography!

All images courtesy of Kristin Ringuette.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Leah Abounader is a Senior at Florida State University double majoring in Information, Communication, and Technology and Editing, Writing, and Media. She loves all things tech design and is obsessed with live music.