Know Your Roots- ASA Presents Cultural Showcase

Stepping into the Moore Auditorium, you can find audience members of all ages dressed in traditional African attire and headdresses. The lights dim and voices are overhead stating a quote written by Game of Thrones novelist, George R.R. Martin. “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you.” The curtain opens to reveal a screen where images are flashing beautiful landscapes and people of different ethnicities together. This set was the scene for the annual Cultural Showcase held by the African Student Association, ASA, on April 4th.

Following the theme of Know Your Roots, ASA featured performances such as dances, drummers, skits, and spoken word by students and members of the community. These performances highlighted different areas of Africa and the Caribbean that worked to inform and entertain the audience about different cultures and the importance of knowing yours.  

The African Student Association is an RSO that strives to bring awareness about African culture to the student body and community of Africans and non-Africans alike. They try to make each event a learning experience whether it’s volunteering in the community or presenting research on different African countries and its latest news at their general body meetings. Through their showcase they were able to remind people to never be ashamed of where they come from. Your culture is what makes you unique and knowing your culture gives you a better understanding of yourself.

A particular skit that was performed followed a young man that moved from Nigeria to America to pursue an education. While in the United States, he was able to teach a Nigerian student that was born in America to appreciate and explore her heritage. During one of their conversations he said, “Being American is half of who you are. Knowing your culture makes you whole.” These words ring true. Your culture is your identity. Your identity is what separates you from all the rest.

Glancing around campus, you can be sure to see a plethora of different cultures represented by the student and faculty population. Of course, college is the time to find yourself, but before that can be accomplished, you have to go back to your roots. Before leaving the auditorium, ASA decided to leave its audience with these words of wisdom: “Knowing yourself and proudly displaying your heritage is your greatest asset. For too long we have stood divided amongst ourselves, chained by the lack of knowledge of the cultures that surround us. The key is unity. Unity represents the absence of diversity, the oneness of minds, feelings, and harmony. It’s not only about knowing who you are, but about knowing about those who came before you.”

Though the showcase is over, we can still glean its purpose—know your roots, never be ashamed to represent where you come from, and embrace the cultures that surround you. 

I'm a senior at Florida State University who loves her Seminoles (GO NOLES!), reading, and ,of course, writing while drinking a hot cup of Twining's Spiced Apple Chai and listening to classical music.
Her Campus at Florida State University.